Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

UPS Compatibility

I'm not familiar with the specs on those UPS, but if, like you say, you have consulted with APC & Synology then you should probably go with their recommendation.

In terms of power outage if there is a capability to alert you via email / Synology mobile app then you would have the ability to shut down completely & safely via remote access (or locally if you are home) - provided your router was also covered by the APC or has it's own fail-over power.

I use a moderately sized solar panel with a charge controller to keep a 12v 70ah leisure battery topped up. There's a relay & fuses that both my power brick & battery plugs into before the NAS & router - both are 12v DC 'after' the bricks coincidentally (so two alternate power sources & two permanent loads).

The relay switches power source to the battery when the grid goes down & then switches back when it resumes (only 1 active source). I get around 14 hrs backup before it totally dies overnight, but that's longer in the day because the sun recharges the battery (slower than it drains though). After which - it all dies.
But for safety, the battery power supply has a 'low voltage' cut out so I don't completely discharge it.

Obviously I know what I'm doing with the electrics and wouldn't recommend you to try it without getting professional advice, but I'm simply suggesting - if your knowledge is deep enough there is usually another way. If not, follow the recommendations you have been given by the experts.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Raid is not a backup, but it is a step in the right direction --
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Messages In This Thread
UPS Compatibility - by ENQUIRIES - 10-04-2022, 11:00 AM
RE: UPS Compatibility - by TribalHound - 10-04-2022, 12:06 PM