Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex NAS Selection

Good afternoon. First I wanted to compliment you on your website and very informative YouTube videos. I always check you first when looking for new storage solution.

I am in process of upgrading from a 4 Bay 453be QNAP NAS to an new 8 Bay. I am a Plex user doing a lot of recoding of over the air programs and viewing my personal movie collection. I often transcode 3-4 HD sessions to Roku devices and/or tablets so I want a powerful and future proof system. I have recently been seeing a performance degradation from my NAS to my devices - specifically long buffering times before playing/starting. In addition the actual time to index/record sessions takes forever. I am using a 10GB connection to my NAS and have 4 18TB drives

You originally sold me on the QNAP TVS-h1288X but this is probably an overkill? With you recent article on the QNAP TVS-H874 I am now pausing and re-thinking. Is this a better more economical solution for the home user? Should I be concerned with the elimination of the 10GB RJ45 on this unit? Also will the processor/graphics chip be more powerful than the 1288x? I'm considering the TVS-H874 with the i5 chip.

Also any advice on what RAID (5 or 6) for my new NAS? I"m currently using Raid 6 (32TB) but plan on using my old 4 bay NAS as a backup solution so I could switch Raid 5 (48TB) and gain 13TB of storage.

Finally, in case you have not seen B&H has listed the QNAP TVS-H874 (with i5/32GB Memory) for $2199.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1729142-REG/qnap_tvs_h874_i5_32g_us_8_bay_nas_intel_core_i5_12400.html

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
Plex NAS Selection - by ENQUIRIES - 10-03-2022, 08:00 PM
RE: Plex NAS Selection - by ed - 10-07-2022, 04:00 PM