Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NVMe SSD NAS options & requirements

I've read your entire review of the QNAP TBS-464 and am pretty impressed with the product. Great review also! I've been wanting to build a NVMe SSD NAS for many years but haven't really found the time to do the research. Seeing that the QNAP TBS-464 now exists (which would definitely meet my storage requirements) and was the first of its kind, I was wondering if you know and can recommend any other NVMe SSD NASs that have been introduced to the market since. Any with improved CPUs, upgradeable memory, etc?

Here are my "requirements":

1. The compactness of the TBS-464 is great, but NOT a requirement. I'm OK with the typical enclosure for a NAS, including having bays and status lights and all, as long as the it supports M.2 PCIe SSDs and not the SATA ones.

2. Im thinking of starting off with two 4GB SSDs with the ability to add more SSDs later. So looking for support of 4+ M.2 connectors.

3. The purpose for my NAS is to store photo, movie, music , and document files. But I also want it to act as a Plex media server (not sure if that means Plex would be installed on the NAS or would it need to be installed on the separate server machine). But basically it would serve the specific media files I allow it two. So I'm not sure if I would need partition
the storage space into two separate parts where one part would store the content (movies/music) for Plex and the other part would just be basic file storage (documents/photos) that my family members can access.

4. Ideally, I would like to set access control to the NAS files based on user. For example, I would be able to access all files in the system, but my kids would only be able to access files in their own named folders.

Messages In This Thread
NVMe SSD NAS options & requirements - by ENQUIRIES - 10-02-2022, 02:30 AM