Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS vulnerability

I have been thinking about adding a NAS to my home network for backups and Plex but after watching your video on Deadbolt I fear that getting attacked twice in one year shows that these devices are far too vulnerable to be useful.

Background:
I have a home network with PCs and Android and Roku devices. I am using Plex Server (running on my desktop) to access my thousands of music, photo and video files. I have been backing up all of our non-media data from PC to PC and also to a removable, external hard drive. I have been backing up all media to another removable, external hard drive.

I have been contemplating some sort of NAS to replace the external hard drive backup storage I’ve been using. Then my Tivo failed and I started using Plex as my DVR for over-the-air requiring me to leave my desktop on for many hours longer than I would like. I recently discovered your channel and through your excellent videos decided that either the Qnap TS-453E or TS-464 might be a good fit for me. Then I watched your video about the Deadbolt attacks happening twice in one year and I feel these NASes are way too vulnerable. Would you please comment?

Gary

Messages In This Thread
NAS vulnerability - by ENQUIRIES - 09-28-2022, 03:00 PM
RE: NAS vulnerability - by ed - 09-28-2022, 09:36 PM