Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Request for advice

Hello,

Thanks for the great content you provide on your channel.

** Background **
I'm looking to replace my existing NAS, a Netgear Readynas NV+ which has done 15 years service (albeit with a second set of hard disks) It has 4 x 2TB drives providing ~5.4TB of space, which is mostly used.
The NAS is accessed via Windows File Explorer given there's no real apps or web interface given it's vintage. (to access the NAS I need to run an old version on FireFox)
Copying files is really slow, averaging ~5MB/s when copying photos.
The main router in the house is a only Gigabit
The datasheet advises the Netgear noise is ~31.5dBA at 1m with the NAS located in an open study area of the house. I really notice the fan noise on this unit.

We use the current NAS to store:
- Common MS office /PDF / similar files for 5 users [100GB];
- Our family photo album [250GB];
- Multi media files [4.5TB]

** Options **
I'm primarily looking a Synology unit due to the better software experience (user friendly software is a key requirement from others in my family!)
With the help of your video content, I've narrowed the choice down to either the DS920+ or DS1522+ In Australia these retail for $1000 (920 : including 4GB additional memory) and $1,299 for 1522+
Of the two units, my preference is for the DS1522+ due to the 5 bays and 8GB of RAM pre-installed.
The plan would be to use SHR and populate with 3 x 10TB Seagate Ironwolf drives which provides 20TB usable space (expandable with 2 more drives later)
Do I need to worry about mixing and matching drive vintages when I eventually add more drives?

I have looked at the DS1621+ but this comes with a higher price tag (AU$1,449) as well as an increased the noise level (25.2dBA at 1m)

Currently I run Kodi on a dedicated HTPC connected to the TV and mapped NAS drives with the media. This has worked well to date.

Do you have any thoughts on my selection of a DS1522+ given the above information?
Am I being too narrow focusing only on the Synology range?

Thanks in advance for your time reviewing my request.

Regards,

Bruce

Messages In This Thread
Request for advice - by Enquiries - 08-10-2022, 03:30 AM
RE: Request for advice - by ed - 08-12-2022, 09:35 AM