Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First time NAS buyer

Hi there,

I have a digital textile printing factory.

I am looking to purchase a NAS setup so I can use it to process & collect/store my digital artwork files which would be in a raw tiff format each ranging in size from 1 to 5 gb.

I currently have a 2013 Mac Mini running an Intel core i5 Ivy bridge processor with a 16GB DDR3 ram and a 2TB SSD; which I use to process my files utilising Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator & Wasatch Raster Image Processing on windows 10.

I have 3 external WD 5 TB ssd drives that are all connected to my Mac Mini USB 3.0 (5Gbps) ports, which I use to store the files for read access for printing; then I do a window share to 2 laptops that operate my digital printing machines. These laptops are connected to the modem router using 1Gbps lan connections.

Typically a 5 tb external drive has 4.54 gb available.; after extensive use, we are able to achieve proper operation when there's 500+ gb empty space, which is another 10% percent.

I have utilized/maxed out storage of all 3 external hard drives. My current router ports are full.

I would now like to get a NAS with at least 100 tb of storage for future use & maintain the basic gigabit lan connection speed, possibly using a switch, to continue providing the basic windows share with high speed storage. I don't frequently access certain files that's why I thought of getting all SSDs. What do you suggest?

I have watched the NAScompares videos & wanted to ask whether it was possible to host a VM on the NAS which I can use for my Wasatch RIP software that requires 8 gb of ram & a quad core processor.

My software requirements, from a NAS, are basic, as per the features available in current NAS systems; hence I was thinking to consider the best hardware kit which would be from the Asustor Lockster series I guess. What do you suggest?

Regards,

Manoj Hemnani

Messages In This Thread
First time NAS buyer - by Enquiries - 08-07-2022, 08:30 PM
RE: First time NAS buyer - by ed - 08-10-2022, 08:01 AM