Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Aquiring First NAS ?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a NAS.
After long consideration and watching some of your videos again I thought of buying the ds1621+, but... when I enquired about a NAS at a local store they said the ds620slim would be better suited because of the streaming software on it and the pricerange.

I don't know what to do, what to get. Maybe you could help with some advice.

What do I need it for:
- Picture library
- file server(documents, excell files, photoshop and aftereffects files/projects,...)
- we have a big dvd/bluray collection to ingest, family/vacation videos(possibly editing-if possible on NAS with the rpm restrictions 5400rpms)
- iTunes media storage. I want to use it to save the library on so I can access it by computer without needing to attach a external hdd to my laptop.
- We'd like the possibility to watch the videos on our flatscreen tv, tablets, laptop,... I looked at Plex. Looks good but the clerck at the store told me that synology has a streaming app of its own. on iOS it does not get a lot of points.

I watched your test video on the ds1621+ with 4K material. I don't know if we'd have video with 200Mbps bitrate.

about the storage capacity.
I was first looking at 4TB drives but that seems less and less an option if I count the load of ext drives I have at home. we already have around 6-7TB worth of matrial to store/transfer without the dvd/bluray collection. Are 'PRO' drives nescessary or are basic nas drives enough?

I looked at a 6 bay to use RAID6. I like the peace of mind of the security of 2 discs redundancy.

knowing all this. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this, because it has been a hell of two weeks looking into this.

best regards and really looking forward to your thoughts

Gunther Mertens
storage noob

Messages In This Thread
Aquiring First NAS ? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Aquiring First NAS ? - by admin - 03-22-2021, 03:50 PM