Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please can I have some NAS advice.?

Hi, first off, thank you for having this help section on your website.

Basically I am looking to get my first NAS to backup family photos and brief ~30s to 1m videos. Currently I am storing these on my PC in 2 locations (1 copy on a SSD and another copy on a mechanical HDD).

With that, I think that 2TB should be more than enough to start me off with a NAS, and I was thinking that possibly RAID 1 would do the job? Again this will be my first NAS, so with RAID I'm not sure what would be best.

I do have a network switch setup in my house that has 2.5Gbit speed although my PC only has 1Gbit, but that is easy to upgrade.

The absolute main thing that I'm looking for is silence along with reliability. I am looking for a NAS that could be upgraded down the line, so do you think that a 4 bay would be sufficient? Regarding the silent part, do you think that installing SSDs would be a better choice than mechanical ones.

Oh 1 final part. I know that some NAS have an app for mobile devices, so that I could transfer photos right from my phone to it. If that is the case, a NAS with that feature would also be a must.

Wow, there is so much to learn with NAS, I'm actually finding it really fun to read up on them!

Thank you again for your time,
Christopher.

Messages In This Thread
Please can I have some NAS advice.? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Please can I have some NAS advice.? - by admin - 03-15-2021, 01:14 PM