Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

looking for a new nas

Looking for a little help finding a new NAS (maybe a lot of help)

I currently have a home made system using open zfs in a 4u rack case with 12x 8gb drives.
It works fine but I am not strong with linux and it can be confusing for me. Mainly when I want to change things I have to re-learn everything because I already forgot it.

I have had a couple of Drobo's in the past and like them but the seem to be not popular/bad support/maybe the company is close to going out of business. I don't know just don't seem well supported.

I would like at least a 12 drive unit since that is what I already have. I have all my dvd's and blu-rays backed up on to HD's along with decades of home movies and 3 generations worth of photos oh yes and my cd music collection.

I have a bunch of old computers with system a drive and data drive(s) I am thinking going forward I will just build computers with 1 system drive and use the nas for all data not just media storage. (de-duping might help here)

I guess I would prefer a rack mounted system but I don't have a problem with putting a shelf in my rack and a desktop model on it.

I have a 10g switch and want 10g either onboard or with a NIC.
If NIC I think 2 pcie slots would be desirable, because I'm thinking of adding m.2

I am currently looking at Synology and Qnap but I am open to others if suggested. I am currently in data overload and getting confused.

Not sure which is better btrfs or zfs (Quts hero) ???
If a 12gb drive with 6gb of data goes down how low will it take to rebuild under each system ? Estimate.

Qnap need a system space so I either loose 2 of the 12 hard drives or need a unit with additional 2.5” ssd slots or the m.2 add in card. (but I see on the Qnap web site that it has 5gb dual boot os protection flash memory) **What is this for**. Where as Synology keeps it system spread over all drives.

I am not sure if I would benefit from ssd or m.2 cache ???

I like SHR-2 (because of Drobo) but it seems to be being phased out or not available on ½ of their machines.

I like raid-6 because I've read some horror stories about rebuilding a raid-5 after loosing one drive the system failing because of the heavy usage the rebuilding puts on the remaining 4 drives.

I was thinking about starting with 4x 12Tb drives and increasing with additional 12Tb drives as time goes on.

<<< Check my thinking here >>>

From what I understand or think I understand Synology and btrfs would allow me to increase my raid 1 drive at a time by expanding the storage pool capacity.
I think this cannot be done with QTS Hero / zfs ?????????? Am I right that with zfs I can only increase capacity is by starting over with 5 drives then starting over with 6 drives and so on or add a second vdev the smallest being a 2 disk raid1.
This makes me confused and I can't figure out which is better.

Do I need cache ??? How much under each system ???

Plex: I haven't used plex I just go to my movies folder find the one I want and then cast to device (tv).
Watching your videos you seem to prefer Qnap for plex.

Photos: Watching your videos I like Synology for the information available on each photo and the facial recognition seem like it might be better. Does Synology have a world map where photos were taken ????? like Qmaggie.

I don't like the Synology units that can only use propriety Synology drives only (even if they are the best I don't like to be forced to use them) But all the new models use them and my guess is that this will continue in the future. Do I want an older model that will be discontinued sooner ??????????

some models I have looked at.

10g

rackstation rs3618xs 2 pcie Xeon 4 core 8 to 64 $2600 / 8gb

rackstation rs3617rpxs 2 pcie Xeon 4 core 8 to 64 $3350 / 8gb

rackstation rs3621rpxs 2 pcie synology drives only Xeon 6 core 8 to 64 $3400 / 8gb

rackstation rs3617xs+ built in and 2 pcie Xeon 6 core 8 to 64 $4600 / 8gb

rackstation rs3621xs+ built in and 2 pcie synology drives only Xeon 6 core 8 to 64 $4600 / 8gb

rackstation rs2418+ 1 pcie shr Atom 4 core 8 to 64 $1700 / 4gb

diskstation ds3617xs 1 pcie Xeon 4 core 16 to 48 $2500 / 16gb

diskstation ds2419+ 1 pcie shr Atom 4 core 4 to 32 $1500 / 4gb

1886xu built in and 3 pcie Xeon 4 core 32 to 128 $3000 / 32gb

1688x build in and 2 pcie and 2 m.2 Xeon 6 core 32 to 128 $2900 / 32gb

1283xu build in and 3 pcie Xeon 6 core 32 to 128 $4500 / 32gb

1277xu build in and 3 pcie Ryzen 8 core 32 to 128 $4000 / 32gb

I like the synology rs2418+

pros:
rackmount,
shr,
inexpensive.

Cons:
already 3 year old model
may be under powered with Atom and 4g but does synology need more power?

I like the qnap 1886xu

pros:
price not too bad for a rack mount
3 open pcie
xeon and 32g
6 ssd for system and cache

cons:
almost double the price of synology

Any guidance you provide will be greatly appreciated.

Steve...

Messages In This Thread
looking for a new nas - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
looking for a new nas - by admin - 02-02-2021, 11:26 AM