Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Complete Beginner realized the need of a NAS?

Hello there!

I'm completely new to the world of NAS-related things and I am overwhelmed with all the things that are possible and equipment that is out there.

What I basically want is a space, connected to our home-network, where my partner and I can move files (Movies, Music, Photos) that is not needed daily on our PCs. As a added bonus, it would be great if I could use the NAS together with either my smart TV or my PS4 to watch movies/listening to music to.
I plan to have 2 4-6TB HDs in there, one for actual storage, one for mirroring the first one and an external USB HD for backing up files externally.

I was eyeing the DS220+ but now that I know of the existence of the DS220j, I wonder if that would be enough for my use case, even though I read on the website that "Not suitable for Plex Media Server". It would certainly be a cheaper solution.
What exactly does the "not suitable" mean? Is it enough for FullHD? Will it struggle at 4k? Does it not work at all? And do I even need Plex Media Server to connect it to my PS4?

I hope you can give me some good pointers to consider, which one I should get (or even a completely different NAS, which I haven't considered yet).

Thank you for your time!

Messages In This Thread
Complete Beginner realized the need of a NAS? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM