Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS for home and future; but first NAS?

Hi Robbie,

I am in the market for my first NAS for personal use. Although I consider myself tech savvy, it is always difficult to make 'apples-to-apples' comparisons without a lot of effort (which you do really well - thanks). I am still a little conflicted, having narrowed my choices (preferences) down to something like the Synology 920; Asustor 5304/6404; or QNAP T-453.

My use case is in two parts. The primary driver is data consolidation, protection and security as I want to collate and assure all the data I have on multiple devices including a bunch of old HDDs, phones etc - mainly photos and messages but a lot of academic material and an extensive ebook library.

The second driver is that I am about to do major home renovations and want to up-wire the house to incorporate distributed media access services, surveillance and suchlike. Having a device that can act as a home firewall, productivity hub and even hosting server is also within considerations.

I have a preference for "do it once, do it right" and am happy to have a higher initial investment for something I won't have to replace anytime soon. On another note, some of the brands advertise a "game like interface" which puts me off a bit. I am a traditional Windows/MAC user (and trainer) but have never been a gamer. I also detest Apple's iPhone OS and interface; and barely tolerate Android (which I've more or less had to do since the demise of Windows mobile).

Overall, I find myself leaning toward the Synology 920+ but have concerns over their limited interfacing and I/O options; then I question if this is really a concern?

I'd be interested in hearing your POV and any commentary you might add around potential candidates.

Again, thanks for your site, it is a valuable resource which I will certainly recommend to others,

Cheers

Messages In This Thread
NAS for home and future; but first NAS? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM