Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS upgrade?

Hi, I'm very much an amateur at this NAS thing but love the potential and I want to learn more. Your website and videos have been instrumental! I've been using a synology DS216+II with 2 6TB HDD in RAID1 configuration and have run out of room and my system is slower than I want so I decided to make a big upgrade to the synology DS1621+. My question is about setting up the new system once it arrives. Do all of my new drives also need to be 6TB or can I populate it with 4TB HDD? I was thinking of getting four of the 4TB HDD that have a drive speed of 7200rpm and I was hoping that I could somehow transfer the data to those in either a RAID 5 or SHR configuration (more likely would do SHR if that is possible) and possibly get rid of the older/slower 6TB drives. Is this even possible? Or do I need to keep the older 6TB drives in the mix (I will have 6 bays so I guess I could...is there a downside to that?). l was hoping not to have to spend the extra money in buying all 6TB drives but will if I have no option.
Thanks! And pardon my ignorance.

Messages In This Thread
NAS upgrade? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
NAS upgrade? - by admin - 01-27-2021, 04:31 PM