Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48 TB DAS + backup?

Relevant PC details:
X570 Auros Extreme mobo (10Gbe, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C)
Case is Fractal Design Define 7 (loads of HDD slots)
I just bought 4 ea. 12 TB Iron Wolf NAS HDDs.

I'd like some advice on how to deal with approx. 32 TB of data on a bunch of dusty, randomly sized HDDs my elderly mother has in a cardboard box. Enormous scanned images and video (she's been a Photoshop enthusiast for decades). After spending a ridiculous amount of time reading about NAS and DAS, it seems to me that I could use the motherboard to manage a 48 TB RAID 0 array in that PC, with 4 or 5 bay Thunderbolt DAS (in RAID 0) as backup. I'm leaning towards RAID 0 and Thunderbolt 3/USB 3.2 gen 2 because I don't want to waste her time. She's 80, has limited patience, and I live about 10 hours away. She can handle minor PC issues, but she's been "out of the game" for a decade due to illness.

1. I'm having a hard time finding a 4-5 bay DAS with TB3/USB 3.2 Gen 2 connectivity. Setting up some kind of 10Gbe LAN sounds like an expensive, complicated mess involving add-in cards, pricey switches, & etc. What should I buy?

2. She's worried about malware, and specifically a ransomware attack. The plan is to leave the DAS disconnected from the PC and turned off most of the time. She'll do a comprehensive virus scan once per week or so, then transfer completed work to the DAS.

Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
48 TB DAS + backup? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
48 TB DAS + backup? - by admin - 02-25-2021, 04:39 PM