Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS to buy?

Hi Rob,

First I'd like to thank you for sharing all the great info on this website. I currently use a 8 years old Buffalo Linkstation 2-bay NAS (2x 2TB, RAID1) and would like to move to a new 4-bay one, initially fill it with 2x 8TB disks, using the LS afterwards for external backups.

As an owner of both an iOS and Android phone (preferring iOS), I limited my scope to Synology NAS', as the DSM apparently is more user-friendly and "iOS alike". I'd like use the NAS for storing and managing my huge amount of fotos, music and video files. I therefore think that the DS918+ should perfectly fit my needs. Following my questions:
- as I'm not in a total rush, should I wait until Synology releases new 2020 models?
- is the DS918+ an overkill for my needs, means a DS419 would be more than enough?
- does the DSM have a functionality to automatically backup (selected files/folders) on my existing LS (RAID 0)?
- I currently organise my fotos in a folder structure like YEAR > MONTHS > DAY. Can I keep that structure but also make use of the additional functions offered by a photo app with e.g. face recognition, without changing that structure?
- how can I protect a NAS system against viruses and hacker attacks? Is there a kind of firewall installed or can be installed?
- what NAS HDD has currently the best price per TB ratio (8TB or even more)?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Andreas

Messages In This Thread
Which NAS to buy? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
Which NAS to buy? - by admin - 02-15-2021, 04:17 PM