Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Super Confused and need advice

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie that is super confused and frustrated. I have already setup up my NAS but the process is not going smoothly and I feel like the more I try to research how to fix things the more complicated and overwhelming all the technical details are getting.

To Start - I setup a Qnap TS-464-8G-US with 2 seagate exos 20TB drives. I am using this set up with Jellyfin just for a home media server for my movies and photos. My process is basically to use MakeMKV to create a MKV file of my movies and put them directly to my NAS with no handbrake compression. I did the basic setup straight off of Robbie's Qnap and Jellyfin set up videos and that part went splendidly. But I now have 3 really big follow up problems/slash questions. I have tried to research these issues but it's like going down a rabbit hole of technical details I can not mentally process. I am not trying to become a tech wizard. I just want to stream my own movies instead of paying Amazon $4.99 every time I want to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off! 

1 - This part I might have frakked up. After I had uploaded 3 MKV files and the system acquired all the meta data files I saw they were all just jumbled together so I tried to organize the movies using different folders for my movie categories. Then the next day they were all moved around and it took a minute to find but it looks like they got put into snapshot folders. I deleted all the folders and files I made and tried to reload the movies but they still keep moving to snapshot folders. 
1Q - Can someone please link me to a video about how to Organize the files in Qnap File Station and how to keep snapshot from moving them around?

2 - I think this is related to the snapshot issue but Jellyfin is also duplicating the movies in the main movie window. I created collection folders and the movies are NOT duplicating in there. But it looks like everyday a new snapshot is created a new duplicate movie icon appears in the main movie folder. Sometimes I can delete the duplicates and sometimes the system will not let me. I can't go through and delete endless duplicates every time I open Jellyfin. Especially once I get hundreds of movies in there. 
2Q - How can I stop Jellyfin from duplicating movie icons? Is it related to snapshot? Do I need to turn Snapshot off?

3 - This part is question and recommendation request. So after I ripped my 3rd movie my external disk drive decided to crap out on me. I grabbed another basic Bluray read and write drive from Amazon but it wont open any of my disks now. When I try to open them in MakeMKV it just keeps failing. I've tried with an old version and the current version of MakeMKV but it just wont do it. I tried to look this up too but the variables are so vast that I couldn't hone in on a good answer. In fact I came across a whole new thing about flashing drives? I've never even heard fo that before.
3Q - Do I need a specific type of drive to open Blurays in MakeMKV? Is there a difference in older drives that works better? What the heck is flashing a drive and do I need to worry about that? 

Thank you to anyone that read this whole thing and is able to answer any of these questions. I appreciate the help.

BK

Messages In This Thread
Super Confused and need advice - by B!shopKn!ght - 01-18-2024, 09:17 PM
RE: Super Confused and need advice - by ed - 02-16-2024, 10:10 AM