Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2 Bay DAS or NAS?

Hi

I have been looking at loads of your excellent videos and I am still unsure what to get. I currently run a 4TB WD external USB drive and 3 portable drives to back up my Movies and the 3 portable for Photos, Time Machine, and complete iMac Backup. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to do all the scheduled backups. I was going to get a 2 bay DAS but getting mixed reviews on reliability on all of them.

My iMac is a late 2013 21.5inch model with a 1 TB hybrid drive, Thunderbolt 1 ports and USB 3.

I would use the DAS/NAS just for backups and Plex to my TV across the LAN I have in my house. So my thinking was I dont need or would probably use a lot of the features of a NAS but like the network attached element. To be fair I leave my iMac on most of the time so a DAS does not present an availability issue in that respect. Transcoding would be preferred to future proof it but as I dont have a 4k TV I am more than happy with 1080p HD at the moment.

To me a DAS, which one ?, would make sense for ease of use but I am torn so your advice would be much appreciated and recommended models or either

Messages In This Thread
2 Bay DAS or NAS? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
2 Bay DAS or NAS? - by admin - 02-15-2021, 03:41 PM