Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Readynas Business 6 bay replacement?

Many thanks for the welcome,
I did manage to track down OS6 today and install it for my Readynas but that still leaves older and slower hardware like ddr2 ram and slower core2 cpu and non upgradable 2x1gbe 

I was thinking yes the Qnap 973ax ticks most of the boxes , U2 drives are expensive and hard to find but there are nvme to u2 adapters

My main uses are storing photography , some astrophotography and also some old Sci-fi movies , backing up my Mac and others, my Apple TV 4K can transcode so gpu probably not necessary

The Flash NAS units are attractive though more expensive to get decent storage amounts

I have a mix of 2tb drives Hitachi and Samsung , seem ok for now also getting old , I guess I need to factor in new drives in the overall cost . I could build something but hard to make a small unit like the commercial units

My Readynas is clicking away setting up raid 5 on OS6 but so slow , I notice that the ZFS that QNAP can use is way faster in initial raid setup. 
I keep reading there are problems with btrfs which others use like Asustor and now my OS6 NETGEAR also?

Will keep researching but the 973ax seems the best bang for the buck and I could install SSD instead of hdd as I don’t need a ton of space

Thanks
Cliff

Messages In This Thread
Readynas Business 6 bay replacement? - by Cliff - 10-16-2024, 01:12 AM
RE: Readynas Business 6 bay replacement? - by ed - Yesterday, 11:06 AM
RE: Readynas Business 6 bay replacement? - by Cliff - Yesterday, 12:24 PM