Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Outgrowing family NAS - need a device for myself and my (growing) needs

It sounds like you’re ready to take the next step in your NAS journey, and upgrading from the QNAP TS-230 is a great idea, especially as your storage needs grow. The Synology DS423+ is an excellent choice! It offers a solid balance of performance, expandability, and user-friendly software, making it perfect for someone looking to build a personal media server.

With its 4-bay configuration, you'll have the flexibility to start with two drives and expand later as your storage needs increase. If you go with a couple of 10TB drives now, you’ll have plenty of room for your photos, documents, and media files, while still leaving space for future expansions.

For your media server setup, Synology's Plex support is robust, and you won’t have to worry too much about transcoding if you're primarily streaming to compatible devices. However, having a powerful CPU in your NAS will help if you decide to do any transcoding in the future.

If you're also looking at other options, the DS923+ is worth considering as well, as it provides slightly more processing power and additional features for media handling, which might serve you well in the long run.

As you consider your budget of $1,000, make sure to check for deals on drives and keep an eye out for bundle offers that include NAS devices with disks. This way, you can maximize your storage right from the start.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Outgrowing family NAS - need a device for myself and my (growing) needs - by ed - Yesterday, 11:02 AM