Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

UGreen DXP8800 Plus Ways To Access External HDD With Plex

So, I have a UGreen DXP8800 Plus NAS and have chosen to use the UGOS Pro OS.  Why? Gluten for punishment one would think.  Anyway, UGOS doesn’t allow a USB drive (or Thunderbolt drive) to be accessed in the same way most other NAS manufacturers typically do.  Such external drives are accessible from within UGOS but not discoverable on the Network.

I was reading an article and watching some videos on how to export, backup and edit docker containers.  Then an idea struck.

On to the question:

Since the UGOS interface  doesn’t provide a way for Plex in a docker container to access external HDDs (say a 5 bay or 8 bay DAS), maybe there is a manual way.

Perhaps one could:

1) Export the known UGOS working Plex container.

2) Connect the USB or Thunderbolt DAS containing multiple HDDs (JBOD / RAID)

3) SSH into the UGreen NAS and use Linux commands (bugger, I don’t know any) to discover all internal and all external drives attached to the NAS.

4) Edit the Plex docker container to provide paths to the external drive

5) Use the new manually edited container which will now hopefully allow Plex to see these external drives.

That’s the plan anyway.  I question if I can even attempt it because I have to look up the commands and am totally new to this.  

Anyone one have any suggestions on this?

Much appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
UGreen DXP8800 Plus Ways To Access External HDD With Plex - by Octavean - 08-02-2024, 06:02 PM