Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Small 8-Bay NAS with ECC and Transcoding

OP here! Further research has led me to an Intel i3-9300T with 35W TDP, UHD 630, and ECC. Can it be cooled by a Noctua NH-L9i? Is the i3-9300T sufficient for media sharing, transcoding, and general backup? Okay to run a few VMs?

Could pair it with SuperMicro X11SCH-F or X11SCH-LN4F but no 10 GbE here. Alternatively, are ASRock Rack E3C246D4U2-2T or E3C246D4U2-2L2T just as stable and reliable? SuperMicro has an extra m.2 while ASRock has 10GbE.

For the power supply, I found the Enhance ENP-7660B - 600W Flex ATX 1U Platinum power supply from Overtek. Noctua fan upgrade and custom cables make this power supply pricey but I've read that stock Enhance and Silverstone Flex U1 power supplies have screaming fans, building in the U-NAS 810A requires a cable extension, and many wish unneeded cables were removed for better cable management and airflow. So I'd just let Overtek take care of the customizations.

Everything should still come in less than what I'd pay for an 8-bay Synology or QNAP. Appreciate any feedback on the component selection and NAS capabilities. Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Small 8-Bay NAS with ECC and Transcoding - by blueberryfreckle - 07-21-2024, 06:55 AM