Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Thoughts on Qunhui JMCD 9S2 9-bay case?

Interested on thoughts on the JMCD 9S2 (or JM CD9S 2?) 9-bay NAS case on AliExpress:

Aliexpress product 1005006950511471.html

Possibly a "Qunhui AIO" brand? Or a KEYYOW brand?

Approx US$255 landed to where I am in NZ

It is not one of the models that tends to appear when you search for NAS on AE, and is not carried by a lot of AE "stores", so it doesn't seem to have a lot of traction, I cannot find any videos on YT about it for instance.

There is also a 12-bay version: Aliexpress product 1005006097893484.html

Approx US$370 landed to where I am in NZ

Things I like the idea of:

1) I like 8+ bay NASes as they allow you to have two 4-drive VDEVs. If you want to run ZFS, and you want expansion options for the future, you need enough free bays to allow you to add an entire VDEV in future. With Z1 VDEVs, you can have 4 populated drives in one VDEV and be able to add capacity with another 4 drive VDEV. 9 bays is nice because it allows you to have a warm spare ready to go at a moment's notice. 12 Bays could be run as two 5-disk VDEVs with two warm spares, or two 6-disk VDEVs (great for Z2!) with cold spares instead of warm spares.

2) Two big 120mm front fans blowing across the m/b mounted in the top section, three 90mm fans sucking air through the drives below.

3) mATX support, with full-height PCI-e card slots. Good for supporting a PCIe 3 x8 for a 10GBe NIC, and a PCIe 3 x8 for an HBA.

4) has a slide-out m/b mounting tray

5) two front USB-A

6) ATX power supply, 170mm deep

7) eight* SAS/SATA drive bays, 12Gbps backplane
* see (b) below

8) option for rack mount ears

9) looks to be well-ventilated

10) lots of headroom for a CPU heatsink/fan

Things that make me go 'Hmm.'

a) says it has a "USB-C reserved hole" whatever that means, and no obvious USB-C port

b) There is a 9th drive bay, but it is SATA only... this doesn't bother me too much as for me that 9th bay would be there solely as a warm spare

c) wastefully large in height (271mm, over 6U) for a 9-bay rack-mount NAS... but I wouldn't use it in a rack and besides, I'm expecting it to be a LOT quieter than a 3U 650mm deep server with hurricane force 40mm fans roaring away. It's 350mmx290mm footprint suits me a lot better than a 19" x 650mm 3U server.

I'm inclined to take a gamble on this and report back, but if someone can see anything that would advise against this, can you let me know?

Messages In This Thread
Thoughts on Qunhui JMCD 9S2 9-bay case? - by Jeremy - 07-11-2024, 05:49 AM