Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is Asustor Lockerstor AS6704T enough for me?

To keep this topic up to date...

Everything is ordered and received:
Asustor AS6706T
2x Lexar LD4AS016G 16G rams (32GB total)
4x WD Red SN700 500GB M.2 NVMe
4x Seagate IronWolf Pro, 18TB (received 3x, reason below)
1x TP-Link TX201 2.5 Gigabit PCIe card (for the PC)

NAS is installed and running right now without HDD's, first I ordered 3 HDD's and while I was waiting decided to go for 4 HDD's and Raid6 instead of Raid5.
2 of the NVMe drives are used as Volume1 and 2 are not utilized, for those I am waiting till HDD's are installed, to utilize those as caching.

Also added an 2.5Gb network card to my PC and used Cat7 cable between my PC and the NAS, both devices are connected to my normal 1Gb network and have directly 2.5Gb network in between them, this was only for the transferring the current files from my PC to NAS, the HDD's on my PC can't go fast as 2.5Gb, but little faster than 1Gb network, I didn't want bottleneck between NAS and PC transfers. At the end, made a permanent solution through the pipes in the walls and used 2x Cat7 cables from my PC to my little modem/switch/NAS closet, distance was 15 meters.

Next step was a UPS, installed s APC Back-UPS 500 for the NAS, I already had this UPS for my PC, but it was not strong enough after a PC upgrade, so I got bigger one for my PC and this small one was collecting dust. I had to order the USB cable since I can't find it anywhere.
There is already a big 2000VA UPS in the closet, but it was connected to the Home Assistant NUC with a lot of automations, I couldn't make the NAS shutdown since it was connected to the Intel NUC. APC UPS should work according compatibility list of Asustor, we will see when the USB cable arrives tomorrow.

Only thing left to do is, adding 4x 18TB drives when last one arrives tomorrow and build a Raid6, which will take days I guess and then move 12TB media to the NAS, which will take another couple days moreĀ  Undecided

I want to thank you guys for the content on YouTube and help I received here, learned a lot from you guys.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Asustor Lockerstor AS6704T enough for me? - by SpAwN - 07-07-2024, 01:31 PM