Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS do I need

Thank you for reaching out with your NAS setup requirements for photography, videography, and CCTV storage. Based on your needs and budget, I'd recommend considering the Synology DS224+ and DS423+ models. Here’s a breakdown to help you decide which one suits you best:

NAS Model Recommendations:
1. Synology DS224+:
Type: 2-Bay NAS
CPU: Intel Celeron J4125 Quad-Core 2.0 GHz (up to 2.7 GHz)
RAM: 2GB DDR4 (expandable up to 6GB)
Ideal For: Small to medium workloads, personal data storage, and light video streaming.
Storage Capacity: Supports up to 36TB (2 x 18TB drives), ideal for users needing less total storage but still requiring a robust and reliable NAS.
Key Features:
Compact Size: Fits easily into small spaces.
Photo and Video Storage: Supports Synology Photos, perfect for managing your photography and videography.
CCTV Support: Compatible with Synology Surveillance Station for handling your CCTV needs.
Energy Efficient: Lower power consumption due to fewer drives and a more compact design.
Price: Around £350-£400.
Recommendation: Great for those with modest storage needs or a limited budget. Suitable if you plan to primarily use it for photography and CCTV, with some room for future expansion.
2. Synology DS423+:
Type: 4-Bay NAS
CPU: Intel Celeron J4125 Quad-Core 2.0 GHz (up to 2.7 GHz)
RAM: 2GB DDR4 (expandable up to 6GB)
Ideal For: Larger storage needs, multiple users, and more intensive workloads.
Storage Capacity: Supports up to 72TB (4 x 18TB drives), providing more flexibility and future expansion options.
Key Features:
Flexible Storage: Additional bays allow for more drives, supporting larger total storage and RAID configurations.
High Performance: Handles heavier workloads and more simultaneous tasks, making it ideal for video streaming and CCTV.
Advanced Features: Enhanced capabilities with Synology Photos and Surveillance Station for robust multimedia and security management.
Scalability: Easier to expand your storage as your needs grow without replacing the entire NAS.
Price: Around £500-£600.
Recommendation: Best for users with higher storage demands or looking for a more future-proof solution. Ideal if you foresee significant growth in your photo/video library and require additional capacity for CCTV footage.

Both the DS224+ and DS423+ are excellent choices for your needs, with the DS423+ providing more flexibility and scalability. The DS224+ is ideal if you prefer a more compact and budget-friendly option with modest storage needs.

For your current situation:

Go with DS224+ if you want a simple, cost-effective solution and are comfortable with limited future expandability.
Opt for DS423+ if you want to invest in a more versatile and scalable solution that can handle more storage and more intensive tasks over time.

Messages In This Thread
Which NAS do I need - by ENQUIRIES - 06-28-2024, 11:00 AM
RE: Which NAS do I need - by ed - 07-03-2024, 09:19 AM