Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Total Novice needs help with NAS setup

Hi Ed. Thank you so much for the response. I really appreciate the help. I know theres allot of videos out there about this stuff but most seem to start with the assumption that the viewer understands what all the technical stuff even means. Coding and protocols, and flow rates and LAN versus WAN is like trying to interpret a Sanskrit passage when you have no idea how to read the language.  

I have a couple follow up questions if it's ok? I've been looking at the switches and I'm still a bit confused on how they work and what I need in regards to the number or ports and port speeds. 

Question 1 - Do I need a switch with multiple INPUT ports or just a lot of regular ports? I'm stuck on whether to get one with 2 dedicated inputs or if the router, NAS and all my output lines all just get plugged into "whatever" ports on a 10 port switch.

Question 2 - Considering my streaming needs: Being able to stream up to 3 Bluray quality lines from the NAS and a few additional ones with internet video (Youtube/Netflix kinda stuff)  -  How important is the gigabit flow rate capability of the switch lines. For example, the ones with dedicated dual inputs can have 2.5gbps inputs with all the outputs being 1gbps while most for the basic switch models might have something like 8 ports (no dedicated inputs) all with 1gbps flow rate. How important is trying to get those higher 2.5gbps rates and dedicated inputs versus just getting a simple $25, 10 port switch with 1gbps rates across the board? If you could recommend a specific switch that'd be awesome.

Thank you again for all your help. Cheers!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Total Novice needs help with NAS setup - by B!shopKn!ght - 11-12-2023, 06:29 PM