Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS wake on lan

It's been awhile since I have played around with the WOL but yes, having a power schedule did mess it up. I finally went with the power off/on schedule which worked but there was some weirdness with that also.

If a scheduled Data Scrubbing was being performed, and a power off schedule was to occur, it would stay on doing the scrubbing which was good - but it would not power off until the next scheduled power off. But if a backup (ABB) or a Hyper backup were in progress, it would shut down if a power off was scheduled during that same time - not good. Their logic seemed a bit ass-backward and I opened a ticket and as I recall, the answer was "That is by design".

In the end I just leave the power on all the NAS units I have in my office and at clients site. Less hassle.

This was noted after version 7.0 came out and I haven't retested WOL on any of the latest 7.1 updates. Just try turning off your power schedule and testing it. Also do you have hard drive hibernation turned on? I noticed that I would get timeouts for some actions waiting for the drives to spin up in the past on the DS718+ but not on the DS920+. I now use hdd hibernation with a 10 min delay and when a remote NAS is backing up to my office everything works as per the backup schedule. So that is essentially a WOL too so if you're experiencing hit and miss operation, turn off the power schedule and hdd hibernation. If that doesn't work, I would open a ticket with Synology.
BobS

Messages In This Thread
Synology NAS wake on lan - by ENQUIRIES - 04-09-2023, 12:30 PM
RE: Synology NAS wake on lan - by BobS - 04-10-2023, 01:30 AM
RE: Synology NAS wake on lan - by ed - 04-12-2023, 07:56 AM