Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Synology NAS and iPhone backups

Hi, I have a Synology DS920+ NAS and have been searching for how best to approach backing up iPhones to it, fairly unsuccessfully (getting the message that there is not enough room on my phone to backup to iCloud, and suggesting I pay Apple for more storage - a pain when there's loads of room on my Synology NAS....). The ideal use case would be to carry out the iPhone backup direct to the Synology NAS either via wifi or USB and bypass iCloud entirely.... realise that may not be possible else that would be the first thing that pops up in a google search.
Any advise greatly appreciated as to what is possible to automate....
I understand your frustration with iCloud storage limits and wanting to make use of the ample space on your Synology DS920+. Unfortunately, iOS doesn't natively support backing up iPhones directly to a NAS over Wi-Fi or USB, as it relies heavily on iCloud for backups. However, there are a few alternative methods you can use to back up your iPhone data to your Synology NAS and bypass iCloud:

1. Use Synology Photos for Photo and Video Backup:
Synology offers the Synology Photos app, which allows you to automatically back up photos and videos from your iPhone to the NAS over Wi-Fi:

Install the Synology Photos app on your NAS from the Package Center.
Download the Synology Photos mobile app on your iPhone from the App Store.
Connect the app to your NAS and configure it to automatically back up your iPhone’s photos and videos whenever you’re on your home Wi-Fi network.
2. Manual Backup via File Transfer:
You can manually transfer files such as photos, videos, and documents from your iPhone to your NAS:

Use the DS File app from Synology on your iPhone to manually upload files to your NAS.
Alternatively, connect your iPhone to a computer, transfer the files, and then move them to your NAS.
3. iOS Backup using iTunes and Synology Drive:
Although this isn't a direct NAS backup, it allows you to store a full iPhone backup on your NAS:

Connect your iPhone to your computer and use iTunes to perform a full backup of your iPhone to your computer.
Use Synology Drive or Cloud Sync to regularly sync or move these backup files from your computer to your Synology NAS.
4. Use Third-Party Apps:
While direct iPhone-to-NAS backups aren’t supported natively, some third-party apps and tools allow for selective data backup:

iMazing: This app allows you to create backups of your iPhone on your computer, and then you can transfer those backups to your NAS.
Configure these tools to store backups in folders that sync with your NAS using Synology Drive or another syncing solution.
Automating the Backup Process:
Photos and Videos: Use the Synology Photos app for automatic backups of photos and videos.
Other Files: Set up regular reminders to manually back up important files using the DS File app or other file management tools.
While these methods don't completely replicate the convenience of iCloud backups, they provide effective ways to leverage your Synology NAS for data storage and avoid additional iCloud costs.