Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

plex issues

Hello Ed

Hope you are doing good.

I have an idea for a NASCompares video..
Do a video regarding my Plex-problem.

If it lags when I stream large 4k movies with plex
.. on tv from the computer that has amd ryzen 7 7700 cpu, 16gb, and nvidia 1050 gtx card and 1gbit network ...
and the 4k movie wont even start, just get an connection mess.
What is the problem then?
Too slow network and should upgrade? ...or too slow computer...?
Have no problem streaming 1080p...

On the computer, yes, I can watch 4k without problems... .

Thoughts and comments welcome...

greetings
Andreas

Steps to Ensure GPU is Used for Plex Transcoding:
Check Plex Transcoder Settings:

Go to the Plex server settings on your PC.
Navigate to the "Transcoder" section.
Make sure that "Use hardware acceleration when available" is checked. This allows Plex to use the GPU for transcoding tasks.
Verify GPU Usage:

Use task manager (Windows) or system monitor (Linux) to check if the GPU is being used during 4K playback. If the GPU usage is low, Plex might not be using it effectively.
Plex Configuration File:

Locate the Plex Media Server configuration file (Preferences.xml). The location can vary, but it’s typically found in the Plex data directory.
Look for entries related to transcoding and GPU use, such as TranscoderUseHW=1. If these are missing or not set correctly, you might need to manually add them.
NVIDIA Driver and Codec Support:

Ensure your NVIDIA GTX 1050 drivers are up to date.
Plex requires the right codecs for GPU acceleration. Make sure that the NVIDIA drivers support the necessary codecs (like HEVC for 4K content).
Useful Video Guides:
The following QNAP guides also apply to setting up Plex on a PC, and they offer a visual walkthrough that might be helpful:

QNAP Guide: How to Use GPU for Plex Transcoding
This video explains how to set up GPU transcoding, and while it's shown on a QNAP NAS, the process is similar for a PC.
Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZL5hRZEEnU

Enabling Hardware Transcoding on Plex
Another helpful video that covers setting up hardware acceleration in Plex, ensuring that your GPU is fully utilized for transcoding.
Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCYxj-RmmRo&t=49s