Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS and network setup

Hey, I'm looking to replace our current NAS setup. It is a QNAP TVS with 16TB of storage. We use the NAS for data storage for CAD files. We have 8 workstations connected to it that simultaneously use it for storage during design. Save and load times have slowed considerably since we have grown from our initial 3 work stations. What would be our best option here? Would using something with thunderbolt ports help with speed? I'd be happy to discuss via phone and pay you for your time if that would be easier. Thanks!
It sounds like your current QNAP TVS NAS setup is starting to show its limits, especially with the increased workload from more workstations accessing CAD files simultaneously. To address the slowdown and future-proof your setup, here's what I'd recommend:

1. Upgrade to a Higher-End QNAP Model
QNAP 74 Series or 88 Series: Given your needs, you'll want to look at QNAP models that feature Intel i5, i7, or i9 processors. These CPUs provide the processing power necessary to handle multiple simultaneous users accessing large CAD files. Specifically, the QNAP TVS-h874 or QNAP TVS-h1288X models would be excellent choices. They come with powerful CPUs and offer multiple 10GbE ports, which are crucial for high-speed network access.
2. Multiple 10GbE Ports for Improved Network Speed
Why Multiple 10GbE Ports?: These models offer multiple 10GbE ports, allowing you to distribute the network load more efficiently across your workstations. This setup will significantly reduce save and load times, even with several users working simultaneously.
Switch to 10GbE: You'll also need a 10GbE switch to connect all your workstations efficiently. Something like the Netgear XS708T or QNAP QSW-M1208-8C would work well.
3. Storage Configuration
20+TB Storage: For your storage needs, consider using larger HDDs like 12TB or 16TB in a RAID 6 configuration. This setup will offer you over 20TB of usable space while providing redundancy in case of drive failures.
NVMe SSD Caching: Both the 74 and 88 series QNAP models support NVMe SSD caching, which can dramatically speed up access to frequently used files, ensuring that your team experiences minimal delays.
4. Why Not Thunderbolt?
Thunderbolt Consideration: While Thunderbolt is great for direct connections, your setup with 8 workstations would benefit more from a robust 10GbE network, which is more scalable and cost-effective for multiple users.