Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

replace old NAS for a DYU true nas scale

Hello from France.

I want to replace my too old synology ds213+ to truenas scale to store applications for home, and make a media stack + play with kubernetes.

i looked your video after first advices at work or from friends about u-NAS boxes, and i see your video about jonsbo N5 which is huge but seems really good to install (a long time i didn't build a homemade computer).

Budget would be limited (not the best period currently), then i'm thinking about a good base, even if maybe "small" at beginning, but i could increase later. At least disks and RAM (other parts must be in the base package).

the main apps
- media : will try jellyfish over plex i think (then a graphic gpu needed for transcoding ?), plus would try the radaar/sonaar things (seems a good multi app project to install
- i would try to transfert my huge dvd collection too (start to be damaged)
- HomeAssistant
- Home applications (wiki, traeffik, certmanager, dnsguard, game support tools, dashboard,....)
It's great to hear you're considering upgrading from your aging Synology DS213+ to TrueNAS SCALE for your home applications and media needs. Based on your requirements, especially for media storage with applications like Jellyfish and Plex, as well as managing your DVD collection, you're looking at a setup that will benefit from expandability in both storage and RAM.

Considering your budget constraints, starting with a solid base that allows for future upgrades is wise. The Jonsbo N5, as highlighted in our video, offers a robust platform for building your own NAS. It supports significant hardware expansions such as additional disks and RAM, which are critical for running multiple applications simultaneously like HomeAssistant, media servers, and various home applications.

For media tasks, including transcoding with Jellyfish and Plex, a dedicated graphic GPU would indeed be beneficial. This setup will also accommodate projects like Radarr and Sonarr effectively, enhancing your media management experience.

As you plan to expand over time, starting with a foundation that allows for easy scalability in both hardware and software capabilities is key. Utilizing your existing WD20EFRX drives from the DS213+ initially can help manage costs while planning for future upgrades.