Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stater NAS for family

Hello,
I watch your videos all the time.
I need a personal NAS to backup four 256gb iPhones and two 512GB mac. 2-4 users. Need to share photos and documents with 4-6people. I wanted to buy QNAP 462 4g with 2 x 12gb HDD but got to know qnap is not secure. Don’t want to spend on 923+ for 1Gbps port. prioritizes 1) fast access2) price 350USD only for nas3)bit future proof on storage. Waiting on thanks giving deals!
Thanks
QNAP has made significant strides in improving security, so the concerns you may have heard about are largely addressed, especially in their latest models. The QNAP TS-462 and TS-464 series are now great choices for family multimedia use, offering robust security features, faster access, and multimedia support, like Plex, right out of the box. These models are well-suited for backups, file sharing, and media streaming.

Alternatively, Synology’s DS423+ is also an excellent choice, offering smooth performance for multimedia, photo sharing, and backups with Synology’s highly secure and user-friendly DSM software. If you’re also considering light virtualized tasks down the line, the DS923+ might be worth a look; it’s geared toward more advanced setups like virtualization but can still handle multimedia well. And if you ever need faster speeds, both Synology and QNAP have affordable adapters for 2.5GbE or 5GbE upgrades.