Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TS-464 Advice

Thank you for all of the videos on YouTube, they have been very helpful.

I would like guidance for a few questions.

I have a collection of movies / TV Shows (1080p or SD) and audio files (flac). Currently the collection is 8TB, but will grow as I convert a very large collection of DVDs and CDs to files. Expected growth over time is another 8TB or more.

Currently the collection is on a pair of external Lacie d2 Professional drives (drives are Seagate Ironwolf Pros).  These drives are backed up to another Lacie d2 Professional.  Movies / Music that I want to use are copied to another external which is connected to my router via USB.  The files are played on an Nvidia Shield Pro (via Kodi), a PC (VLC and Foobar2000) and phone /tablet (VLC).  I am the only user.  It is only used in my home.

Rather than have a subset of my collection available,  I would like the entire collection available via NAS.  The master copies will remain on the individual external drives, which will continue to be backed up.  The NAS is an extra copy of the data for daily usage.

I have narrowed the NAS down to a QNAP TS-464.  Based upon current and projected data and current pricing at ServerPartDeals, I am leaning towards 18TB Seagate Ironwolf Pros.

Question 1: Am I better off starting with two 18TB HDDs in Raid 1, keeping bays three and four open or going directly to three 18TB HDDs in Raid 5 (with bay 4 for future use)? Is there a benefit to buying all three drives at the same time? Price and availability will be different when / if I need the 3rd drive. I plan on using snapshots.  As I load more onto the NAS, the data will grow on the weekends, so a weekly snapshot will suffice.

Question 2: I plan on using QTS as the OS.  Is there any benefit to including a pair of M.2 NVME drives in Raid 1 for the purpose of having the system volume separate from the data volume?

Question 3: Noise.  Based upon your video for TS-464 noise levels, it seems that most of the noise will come from the drives.  I have seen various recommendations for adding tape / cardboard to pad the drives so they don't rattle, other recommendations for using screws instead of the side clips and further recommendations that adding the NVME drives for the system volume reduces noise.  Will any of that actually help?  The NAS will be in a bedroom.

Question 4: RAM.  For my usage above (file server for movies / music), will the installed 8GB be enough?  If I do want to add additional RAM, can I only add 1 additional stick so long as it is of the same size, type and speed, or would I have to replace the installed RAM for the sake of having a matching brand?

Thank you for your advice!

Steve