Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replacing old 416J backup NAS to get 2.5Gbps

I have 8 Linux boxes that each have local Timeshift/Lucky backups to a dedicated internal SSD (usually sata 512GB, but sometimes an m.2). Each of these Linux boxes has a weekly or more often an alternating day CRON job that rsync's these local backups to a the DS224+ (2x bonded 1Gbps ports directly to router) on my local LAN (2.5Gbps). The Lucky rsyncs run under 25mins. The TimeShift rsyncs can take an hour or a bit more. Then once per week the DS224+ does a 'Hyper Backup' to an old DS416J out in a detached garage (via buried Cat6 to the 2.5Gbps switch the 416j is plugged into). This weekly backup of the DS224+ has a 4 hour window. Now, finally to the question...

Will replacing the 416j with a QNAP TS-216G-US or some magic to get the 416j to be 2.5Gbps buy me enough time to reduce this 4hour window for the DS224+ backup? Or is this just a waste of money for not much time savings?

Thanx, Skip
Thanks for your message! Unfortunately, the DS416j is a pretty slow model, and there’s no way to upgrade it to support 2.5Gbps. Its hardware is limited, so even if you upgrade your network, the 416j will still be a bottleneck.

To speed things up, you have a couple of options:

Upgrade to another DS224+ with Multi-Channel SMB support, or add a 2.5GbE/5GbE USB adapter to your DS224+ to take advantage of the faster speeds.

Alternatively, getting a QNAP model with built-in 2.5GbE ports, like the TS-216G-US, would give you the speed boost you're looking for, and it would significantly reduce your backup time.

Both options should help reduce the time for the weekly backup window. I'd lean towards the second option if you're looking for an immediate, ready-to-go upgrade with faster ports.
Ed,

Gotta go to bank on Monday and figure out why card nor PayPal is working with ya'll.

USB to 2.5GB adapter I had on the 224+ get's hotter than Hades so when I got a new router I did the 'bonded ports' thing.

I'm likely going the QNAP route... Do I have to replace Hyperbackup on the 224+ with an ssh / rsync or can Hyperbackup just go to a folder on the QNAP w/o the 'vault' thing?

Thanx again, Skip