Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP backup

I'm looking for a way to backup the following devices (or data on devices) to a QNAP NAS:
  • Mac OSX box
  • Windows box
  • Linux box
  • iOS devices
  • Android devices
I am wondering what is the best software to run on the NAS for each or all devices. I was going to setup the volume to be encrypted which would address my encryption needs.  I was hoping to pull backups rather than push them and was hoping for something that allows versioning/incremental backups.  I am not against buying a license for software and would spend up to approx $600 USD on software.

Ideally software that can centrally manage the backups and just have an agent on each device which would carry out the server's backup requests.

If there it's better to run software locally and push updates, I need something that is portable (for example on a USB key) so that the profile of what to backup as well as the software is not touching local disk.  I think that may be the tricky part.

Any solutions or recommendations?
For backing up a variety of devices to a QNAP NAS and meeting your requirements for encryption, versioning, and incremental backups, you have a few good options. Here’s a breakdown of the best approaches and software to consider:

1. QNAP Software Solutions:
QNAP Hybrid Backup Sync (HBS 3):

Features: Provides backup, synchronization, and disaster recovery solutions. Supports various backup modes, including local, remote, and cloud storage.
Devices Supported: Can manage backups for Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android devices.
Encryption & Versioning: Offers encryption and supports versioning for incremental backups.
Management: Centralized management from the NAS, with agents available for different operating systems.
QNAP NetBak Replicator:

Features: Specifically designed for Windows devices, supporting local, remote, and NAS backups.
Devices Supported: Mainly Windows, but you can use HBS 3 for cross-platform support.
Encryption & Versioning: Supports encryption and versioning features.
2. Third-Party Backup Software:
Acronis Cyber Protect Home Office (formerly Acronis True Image):

Features: Comprehensive backup solution with support for multiple operating systems and devices. Offers versioning, incremental backups, and encryption.
Devices Supported: Mac, Windows, Linux (through Acronis Backup), iOS, and Android.
Management: Centralized management from the NAS and client-side agents.
EaseUS Todo Backup:

Features: Provides backup solutions with support for incremental backups, encryption, and versioning.
Devices Supported: Mac, Windows, with limited options for Linux. For mobile devices, use separate apps.
Management: Local management, but can be used in conjunction with QNAP HBS 3 for centralized backup.
Veeam Backup & Replication:

Features: Known for its reliability and support for various platforms, including advanced backup features.
Devices Supported: Primarily Windows and Linux; additional solutions for Mac and mobile devices may be needed.
Management: Centralized management possible with a server setup.
3. Portable Backup Solutions:
If you need a portable solution:

Duplicati: Open-source software that supports encryption and incremental backups. Can be run from a USB key and configured for backups to a QNAP NAS.
Restic: Another open-source backup tool that supports encryption and incremental backups, suitable for use from a portable drive.
Setup Recommendations:
Central Management: Using QNAP’s Hybrid Backup Sync (HBS 3) is a good choice for managing backups from the NAS.
Encryption: Ensure encryption is enabled both during transmission and at rest, particularly if dealing with sensitive data.
Incremental Backups: Both QNAP’s software and third-party solutions like Acronis or EaseUS offer incremental backup options to save space and time.