Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Please your opinion

Hello, I am dealing with situation about upgrade of my home storage, used both for home apps (media backup) and small business (NVR storage, business projects storage/sync). I dont need extraordinary power, I dont need overpriced rack NAS solutions although having couple of racks at home. I started with Synology 12+ years ago, had 2 and 4 slots units, very soon upgraded to 8bay and stayed there till now. So it was 1812+ till 1821+. Now having 8x18TB Exos Raid6 in 1821+ and running out of space. I was considering another 1821+ but although fine model for me, it looks a bit obsolete these days. I wrote Synology at the beginning of this year about successor, but they simply dont care. Couple of weeks back I found 1825+ leakage so I am waiting patiently but nothing is happening, nobody knows anything. Also I hate Synology nonsense limit 108TB per volume - this obsolete limitation should have been lifted long time ago for higher models I think. Wait for 1825+ or try Ugreen 8bay? Thank you.
Thanks for reaching out, and I understand your situation. Here’s my take on your options:

Option 1: Wait for Synology DS1825+
Specs Update: The upcoming DS1825+ is expected to have similar specs to the DS1821+, with the main improvement being more RAM. This could be beneficial if you're looking to handle more intensive tasks.
Volume Size Limit: With more RAM, you may be able to increase the maximum volume size, as the 108TB limit is usually due to RAM limitations. This could help address your need for larger storage volumes if Synology allows higher volume sizes in the new model.
Option 2: Consider Ugreen DXP8800 Plus
Early Days: Ugreen's NAS offerings are still relatively new, so their software might be buggy, which can lead to stability issues. However, some users have been using these models with TrueNAS as the operating system instead, which can provide a more stable and feature-rich environment.
Flexibility: Using TrueNAS with Ugreen hardware could offer the flexibility and higher storage limits you need without the same volume size restrictions.
Recommendation
If you are comfortable staying with Synology and are patient, the DS1825+ could still be a good choice. The increased RAM might help with volume size limits, but keep in mind that if Synology doesn't adjust their software restrictions, the volume limit might remain.

If you're open to exploring other options and need something sooner, trying the Ugreen DXP8800 Plus with TrueNAS could be a flexible solution. This approach gives you more control over your storage setup and potentially avoids the volume size limitations you currently face.