Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

identify iSCI drive

Hi there. With your assistance i recently set up an iSCSI drive on my Synology NAS (1019+) for my IMac. Having set this up I can access the new drive via Finder but cannot see it on the NAS / Filestation. Is it possible to see the drive on the NAS ? In particular I wish to ensure i am backing up the drive on my NAS Idrive application. If not I presume I can back up the drive on Idrive via the alternative online access (ie not via the NAS app ) ? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks Mike
Thanks for reaching out! Great to hear the iSCSI drive setup on your Synology NAS is working.

Just to clarify, iSCSI drives don’t show up in File Station or as part of the NAS file system because they are treated as separate disk volumes. This is why you can access the drive through Finder on your iMac, but you can't see it directly on the NAS.

Backing Up Your iSCSI Drive:
Using Synology Snapshots: Although you can't see iSCSI files directly on the NAS, you can back up the binary data of your iSCSI drive by using Synology’s snapshot feature. Snapshots can capture the state of your iSCSI volume and provide a point-in-time backup.

Using iDrive or Other Backup Solutions: If you prefer, you can use the iDrive app directly on your iMac to back up the iSCSI drive, treating it like any other local drive. Alternatively, you could use other backup solutions like Backblaze, which can back up the contents of your iSCSI drive from your iMac.