Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NVR vs NAS

Hi, I’m getting 4-6 poe cameras taking advantage of the NAS I have planned for so long to get.
I’m not getting an nvr, it costs way more of what I can afford plus I need a real NAS for Plex and file storage and I don’t think all that deep analytics is necessary for a home owner. I think I just need movement and recording upon detection and zone selection, correct me if I am wrong pls.
1) I want to understand what capabilities to expect from surveillance station on a normal NAS.
2) what are the minimum requirements for a NAS to handle at the same time cameras, media consumption, file sharing, photo managing and maybe a pihole in a docket container? Would a 2020 dual core be enough? Quad core? ds223j too weak?
3) in order to assess my pool drive, how much space should I consider for camera use? Considering recording only on movement and deletion after a couple of days I imagine.
Thank you
Setting up a NAS to handle both surveillance and other tasks like media streaming, file sharing, and photo management is a great way to get the most out of your investment. Let’s go through your questions to help you get the right setup.

1. Capabilities of Surveillance Station on a NAS:
Basic Features: Most NAS with surveillance capabilities, like Synology's Surveillance Station, offer the core features you're looking for:
Motion Detection: The ability to record only when motion is detected, which helps save storage space.
Zone Selection: You can set specific areas within the camera's view to monitor for motion, which helps reduce false alarms (e.g., not triggering when a tree moves outside the detection zone).
Event Recording and Alerts: Set up alerts for specific events (e.g., motion detected) and have those events trigger recordings.
Live View and Playback: View live feeds from all connected cameras and access recorded footage from the NAS interface or a mobile app.
Additional Features: Some NAS setups can offer more advanced features like timeline searches, camera patrolling, and even some basic analytics. These are usually sufficient for home surveillance without the need for an expensive NVR setup.
2. Minimum Requirements for a NAS to Handle Multiple Tasks:
Processor: A dual-core processor may handle basic tasks and a small number of cameras, but for a setup with 4-6 cameras, media consumption (e.g., Plex), file sharing, and Docker applications like Pi-hole, a quad-core processor would be more suitable. A quad-core gives you better multitasking capabilities, ensuring smoother performance without bottlenecks.

Memory: At least 2GB of RAM is a minimum, but 4GB or more is recommended for running multiple services simultaneously, especially with Plex and Docker containers involved.

Model Considerations:

Synology DS223j: This model is quite basic and might struggle with the multitasking requirements you’ve listed, especially with multiple cameras and Plex. It's more suited for simple file storage and light applications.
Synology DS423+ or DS920+: These models come with quad-core processors and more RAM options. They are better equipped to handle multiple surveillance cameras, media streaming, file sharing, and running Docker containers.
3. Storage Requirements for Surveillance:
Storage Calculation:
Bitrate Consideration: IP cameras typically record at bitrates between 1-4 Mbps for standard HD (1080p) and higher for 4K. The exact bitrate depends on the camera settings (resolution, frame rate, compression).

Storage Estimate: Here’s a rough estimate for 1080p cameras:

1 camera at 2 Mbps = ~22 GB/day (assuming continuous recording)
If you're recording only on motion and assuming moderate activity (e.g., 4 hours/day), it might be around 3.6 GB/day per camera.
For 4-6 cameras with motion recording, you might use approximately 15-25 GB/day. Over a week (7 days), this could be around 105-175 GB.
Plan for Growth: Start with a setup that can handle a few weeks of footage. If you're deleting footage after a few days, a 2TB or 4TB drive should be sufficient to store several days’ worth of motion-triggered recordings, even with multiple cameras.

Final Recommendations:
NAS Model: A model like the Synology DS423+ or DS920+ would be ideal. These models offer a good balance of processing power, RAM, and expandability, making them capable of handling your surveillance needs, along with media and other tasks.

Storage: Consider starting with 4TB drives. Using RAID (e.g., RAID 1 or RAID 5) will provide redundancy, ensuring your data is protected in case of a drive failure.

Cameras: Choose cameras that integrate well with Synology Surveillance Station for seamless setup and management.

Plan for Future Expansion: Make sure the NAS you choose allows for easy storage expansion and has sufficient processing power to handle additional tasks or cameras you might add in the future.