Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any upgrades possible on the Asustor AS-302T ?

I've had my AS-302T for several years now, and although it still works fine, I think it's time to upgrade.  Big Grin

Before I invest in a new (probably DIY) NAS, I would like to see if the AS-302T can be upgraded in any way.  I've searched far and wide (that's how I ended up on NAS Compares!), but haven't found anything about upgrades for the Asustor AS-302T yet.  I doubt I'd be able to do anything about the hardware (RAM specifically), but perhaps a change of OS??

Anyways, any help / pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks!

BTW - Currently running with 2 x WD Red 6Tb HDDs
The Asustor AS-302T is indeed a bit of an older model, and while it's still functional, it's understandable that you're looking for ways to extend its life or improve its performance before moving on to a new NAS. Here are some considerations and possible upgrades you could explore:

1. Hardware Upgrades:
RAM: Unfortunately, the AS-302T has its RAM soldered onto the motherboard, so it’s not upgradeable. You're likely stuck with the default 1GB or 512MB (depending on the version), which limits what you can do with the NAS in terms of running more resource-intensive applications.
Storage: You already have 2 x 6TB WD Red drives, which are great for a NAS. If you haven’t done so already, you could consider configuring them in RAID 1 for redundancy or RAID 0 for improved performance, depending on your needs.
2. Software Upgrades:
Asustor ADM Updates: Ensure that your AS-302T is running the latest version of Asustor's ADM (Asustor Data Master) operating system. The latest firmware can provide performance improvements, bug fixes, and new features that might extend the usefulness of your device.
Alternative OS: While the AS-302T isn’t widely known for being compatible with alternative NAS operating systems like TrueNAS or OpenMediaVault, some advanced users have experimented with running lightweight Linux distributions on older NAS hardware. However, this would require significant technical knowledge, and there’s no guarantee of success.
3. Improve Performance with Lightweight Apps:
Limit Running Apps: With limited RAM, it's crucial to minimize the number of apps running on the NAS. Stick to lightweight, essential apps that don’t strain the system’s resources.
Disable Unused Services: If you’re running services you don’t need, disabling them can free up system resources. For example, if you don’t use media streaming features, turning off those services could help the NAS run smoother.
4. External Enhancements:
Use an External USB Drive: You can attach an external USB drive to the AS-302T to expand its storage without opening up the device. This won’t speed up the NAS, but it’s a quick way to add more storage capacity.
Network Upgrade: If you haven’t already, consider upgrading your network setup. A faster router or switch won’t make the NAS itself faster but can improve your overall experience by reducing bottlenecks on your network.