Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking to purchase NAS System for 6K Video Editing

I need a recommendation for a NAS System for 6K Video Editing that will work with a 2019 MacBook Intel i9, OSx Monterey using Avid Media Composer & Pro Tools. I've noticed that the QNAP TVS-h874X-i9-64G,8-bay QuTS hero NAS, Intel i9 software requirements for Mac OSx is 13.5 or later??
For a high-demand task like 6K video editing using Avid Media Composer and Pro Tools on your 2019 MacBook Intel i9, the QNAP TVS-h874X-i9-64G is indeed a powerful choice. However, I understand your concern about compatibility with macOS Monterey, given that QNAP states a requirement of macOS 13.5 or later.

Here’s what I recommend:
Compatibility Check:

QNAP TVS-h874X-i9-64G should generally be compatible with macOS Monterey, even if the official recommendation is for macOS 13.5 or later. However, to ensure full compatibility and the best performance, I recommend checking directly with QNAP's support or visiting their forums to see if others have successfully used it with macOS Monterey. This model is equipped with an Intel i9 processor and 64GB of RAM, which is more than sufficient for your editing needs.
Alternatives:

QNAP TVS-1288X: This model is also a powerful choice for video editing. It offers Thunderbolt 3 connectivity, which can be particularly beneficial when working with a MacBook Pro. It can handle large video files efficiently and offers excellent performance for 6K editing.
Synology DS3622xs+: This is another alternative if you’re concerned about OS compatibility. Synology’s DSM OS is very user-friendly, and this model supports up to 32GB RAM and has excellent network performance with dual 10GbE ports, making it suitable for high-resolution video editing tasks.
Storage Capacity:

120TB Storage: To achieve this capacity with redundancy (which is crucial for data security), you might consider using 12TB or 16TB drives in a RAID 6 configuration. This would give you a balance between capacity and redundancy.
Network Setup:

10GbE Connectivity: Ensure that your NAS and your MacBook are connected via 10GbE (10 Gigabit Ethernet) for optimal performance. If your MacBook doesn't have a native 10GbE port, you can use a Thunderbolt to 10GbE adapter.
Budget:

With a budget of AUD 12,000, the QNAP TVS-h874X-i9-64G or the Synology DS3622xs+ with fully populated 120TB storage in RAID 6 should fit within your budget. Make sure to include the cost of enterprise-grade HDDs (e.g., Seagate IronWolf Pro or WD Red Pro) and any necessary networking equipment.
Final Recommendation:
The QNAP TVS-h874X-i9-64G is an excellent choice for 6K video editing, provided you verify its compatibility with your current macOS version. If you prefer a more Mac-friendly alternative, the QNAP TVS-1288X or Synology DS3622xs+ would also be strong contenders.