Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Upgrade

Hi, I have 2 Syn 1511 and a Drobo 5d3 with the two synologies as backup devices to the Drobo. The Drobo is running out of capacity and I am loathed to invest in more storage as it’s unsupported.

I want to upgrade the main storage but unsure what is best despite watching your YouTube’s.

I am thinking Synology 1522 rather than 1821, probably with 16TB drives (trying to find a sweet spot and discount window). Probably WD Red Pro although these are not supported by Synology (should I look at Iron Wolf, Tosh N300 or even the Syn 3310 plus - is that equiv to WD Red Plus though)

I haven’t looked at QNAP as I know Synology and I am a little concerned moving back from DAS to NAS but that will share better between the desktop and Laptop.

Any recommendations, am I on the right lines.
Thank you for reaching out and providing detailed information about your current setup and what you’re looking to achieve. Based on what you’ve shared, I believe you’re on the right track with your plan, but let’s dive a bit deeper to ensure you get the most out of your upgrade.

1. Upgrade Path: Synology DS1522+ vs. DS1821+
Both the Synology DS1522+ and DS1821+ are excellent choices, each catering to different needs:

Synology DS1522+:

Pros: This is a 5-bay NAS with great performance, ideal for users who don't need the extra bays but still want robust performance and the ability to scale storage with an expansion unit (e.g., DX517). It's powered by an AMD Ryzen R1600 CPU, offering good balance for most home and small office use cases.
Cons: Fewer bays mean you may need to expand sooner if your storage needs grow quickly, especially with 50-60TB requirements.
Synology DS1821+:

Pros: With 8 bays, the DS1821+ offers more room for growth without needing an expansion unit. It’s also powered by a more powerful AMD Ryzen V1500B CPU, which will handle more intensive tasks and larger workloads better.
Cons: Slightly more expensive upfront, but the extra bays can save you money in the long run as you expand your storage.
2. Hard Drive Selection:
Given your focus on photography and video, reliability and performance are crucial:

WD Red Pro:

Performance: These drives are designed for NAS environments with 24/7 operation and come with a 5-year warranty. They offer better durability and higher workloads compared to standard WD Red drives.
Compatibility: While Synology doesn't officially list WD Red Pro drives as supported, many users successfully use them without issues. However, if you prefer to stick with officially supported drives, consider alternatives.
Seagate IronWolf Pro:

Performance: Similar to WD Red Pro, IronWolf Pro drives are designed for NAS use, offering 24/7 reliability, AgileArray firmware for improved NAS performance, and health management features.
Compatibility: Fully supported by Synology, making it a safer choice if you want to avoid any potential compatibility issues.
Toshiba N300:

Performance: Another solid choice, designed for NAS with up to 8 bays. Toshiba N300 drives offer good performance and reliability at a slightly lower price point.
Compatibility: Generally supported and known for reliable performance in NAS environments.
Synology HAT5300:

Performance: These drives are optimized specifically for Synology NAS systems and come with a high workload rating. They are equivalent to enterprise-class drives like the WD Red Plus but are tuned to work seamlessly with Synology systems.
Price: Typically more expensive, but if you want the highest compatibility and Synology’s guarantee of performance, these are the best choice.
3. Moving from DAS to NAS:
Your concern about moving from DAS (Direct Attached Storage) to NAS is understandable. However, given your needs for sharing data between your desktop and laptop, a NAS solution will provide much more flexibility and accessibility:

Ease of Access: NAS allows for easy access to your files from multiple devices simultaneously, without the need for direct physical connection.
Backup and Redundancy: With Synology’s built-in tools like Hyper Backup and Snapshot Replication, you can easily manage backups and data redundancy.
Performance: If you’re concerned about performance drops when moving from DAS to NAS, consider setting up SSD caching (if your NAS supports it) to boost read/write speeds.
4. Budget Considerations:
With a budget of £2000, you should be able to comfortably purchase either the DS1522+ or DS1821+ with 5 or more 16TB drives:

DS1522+ with 5 x 16TB Drives: This setup would maximize your initial storage investment, giving you around 64TB in RAID 5 or 48TB in RAID 6.
DS1821+ with 6 x 16TB Drives: Slightly more expensive but offers more storage and future expansion without needing an expansion unit.