Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New NAS Setup

Hi,
I am looking to set up a new NAS for my son household that it easy to keep. The nas will be used to backup pictures and videos from the two iPhone in use and backup files from a PC and Laptop.

I am thinking of setting up a Synology two bay entry level NAS. what will be the best way to backup the data in this NAS considering that availability and speed of access are not an issue? I have two solution in mind:

1) set up two high capacity hard disk in RAID 1 and leave at that.

2) Set up one or two drives in RAID 0 or JABOD and then attach a suitable USB drive with nightly backups with Hyper Backup.

Any advice on what other NAS hardware alternative there are and what of the two options above will be best?

Thank very very much.
For setting up a new NAS for your son's household to backup pictures, videos, and files from multiple devices, a Synology two-bay entry-level NAS is an excellent choice. Here’s a detailed look at the options you mentioned and some additional recommendations.

Option 1: Two High Capacity Hard Disks in RAID 1
Pros:

Redundancy: RAID 1 mirrors data across two drives, providing redundancy. If one drive fails, the data is still safe on the other.
Simplicity: Easy to set up and manage, with built-in redundancy without needing external backups.
Cons:

Storage Efficiency: Only half of the total capacity is usable (e.g., two 4TB drives provide 4TB of usable space).
No Backup: RAID 1 protects against drive failure but not against accidental deletions or data corruption.
Option 2: One or Two Drives in RAID 0 or JBOD with Nightly USB Backups
Pros:

Increased Storage Capacity: RAID 0 or JBOD provides maximum storage capacity.
Backups: Using Hyper Backup for nightly backups to an external USB drive ensures you have a separate backup, protecting against data corruption and accidental deletions.
Cons:

No Redundancy: RAID 0 or JBOD does not provide redundancy. If a drive fails, all data on that volume is lost until restored from backup.
Complexity: Requires additional setup and management of the backup process.
Recommendations
Given that availability and speed of access are not critical issues, here’s the best approach for setting up your NAS:

Choose a Reliable NAS Model:

Synology DS224+: A robust two-bay NAS with good performance and ease of use.
Synology DS223: An affordable option with decent performance for home use.
Drive Configuration:

Option 1 (RAID 1): Two high-capacity drives (e.g., 4TB or 6TB) in RAID 1 for redundancy.
Drives: Seagate IronWolf or WD Red Plus for NAS reliability.
Option 2 (RAID 0 or JBOD with USB Backup):
Drives: One or two drives in RAID 0 or JBOD for maximum capacity.
Backup Drive: A reliable external USB drive for nightly backups using Hyper Backup (e.g., 4TB WD My Book).
Backup Strategy
Regardless of the drive configuration, ensure a robust backup strategy:

Hyper Backup: Set up Hyper Backup to create nightly backups to the external USB drive. This protects against data corruption, accidental deletions, and other software issues.
Cloud Backup (Optional): Consider using Synology C2 Backup or another cloud service for additional offsite backups, ensuring data protection in case of physical disasters.
Setup Steps
Initial Setup:

Install and initialize the NAS with the chosen RAID configuration.
Set up user accounts and shared folders for easy access.
Install Synology Drive on the PC and laptop for automatic file synchronization and backup.
Configure Mobile Backups:

Install Synology DS File or Synology Photos app on the iPhones to automate the backup of photos and videos to the NAS.
Configure Hyper Backup:

Connect the external USB drive to the NAS.
Use Hyper Backup to set up nightly backups of critical data.