Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Storage for Point cloud data

Hi there,

I'm looking to set up a local drive / drives to store and access point cloud data (laser scans). I will need to work on / with the files (using Autodesk Recap Pro) and I'd like to be able to make the storage solution network accessible for people to view (not to work on). I'm not sure if I should be looking at RAID5/6 or just an external SSD that I set up a nightly mirror on.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ben
Based on your use case, it sounds like a NAS would be the best option for you since you want to make the storage solution network accessible for people to view and be able to work on the files. An external SSD may not be the best option for sharing files across a network.

As for RAID5/6, it's a good idea to consider using a RAID array for data redundancy and protection against drive failure. With a RAID5/6 array, you can lose one or two drives (respectively) without losing any data. However, it's important to keep in mind that RAID is not a substitute for backups. You should still have a backup plan in place in case of data loss.

Given your need for network accessibility and working with large files, I would recommend looking into a NAS with good performance and capacity. The Synology DS923+ would be a good option, as it has support for 10GbE upgrades and NVMe SSDs for cache and storage pools, which can improve performance for working with large files. It also has RAID5/6 support and can be set up for network accessibility.