Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

btrfs of ext4?

Background: I have used a DS220j with 2 WD Red 4TB HDDs for several years, but they've run out of capacity. I do primarily backups of my PC, my wife's PC, and our photos, sound, and video. The current setup uses the Synology hyper raid (SHR?) on the two drives with ext4 file system. I just replaced the 2 WD Red 4TB HDDs with 2 Seagate Ironwolf 12TB HDDs, and used the swap 1, then swap 2 method to populate the new drives. Over the next year I plan to upgrades to a DS923+, add 2 more Seagate Ironwolf 12TB HDDs, and swap to a more robust RAID (probably 5), as well as adding a 10Gbps PCIE card. I do not believe that I have configured my shared folders optimally, and am considering reworking them along with the concomitant tasks. I have been watching the Synology Setup Guides to get better guidance. In Guide #1 it is stated that btrfs is a better file system than ext4, and that ext4 may be deprecated soon.

My question is, should I wipe my new Ironwolf HDDs and rebuild the volume using btrfs before I optimize the folder structure? Is btrfs THAT much better than ext4 to warrant that extra work, time, and risk? Does my planned upgrade path give any support for going with btrfs over ext4?

Thank you!
Great questions! Given your upgrade plans and the considerations for file systems, here's a detailed comparison and some advice:

Btrfs vs. Ext4
Btrfs:

Advanced Features: Btrfs offers features like snapshots, built-in RAID support, and self-healing. These can be particularly useful for data integrity and ease of backups.
Snapshot Support: Allows you to create point-in-time snapshots of your data, which can be useful for recovery and backup purposes.
Error Detection and Correction: Includes mechanisms to detect and correct data corruption, which adds an extra layer of reliability.
Dynamic Resizing: Supports resizing volumes and partitions on the fly, which can be helpful as you grow your storage needs.
Ext4:

Mature and Stable: Ext4 has been around longer and is highly stable, with fewer reported issues and a robust track record.
Simplicity: It’s simpler and less resource-intensive compared to Btrfs, which can be advantageous for certain setups.
Performance: Often performs better in scenarios with heavy I/O operations due to its lower overhead.
Considering Your Upgrade Path
Given your planned upgrade to the DS923+ and the switch to a more robust RAID configuration:

Btrfs Advantages: The added features of Btrfs might become more valuable as you expand your setup. Features like snapshots and built-in RAID could simplify management and increase data protection as you grow from SHR to RAID 5.
Risk and Effort: Migrating from Ext4 to Btrfs involves wiping and rebuilding volumes, which can be time-consuming and risky, especially if you’re currently using the system heavily.
Recommendations
If You Value Advanced Features: If you believe the features of Btrfs will benefit your setup (e.g., snapshots, error correction), and you're prepared to deal with the extra setup work, it might be worth migrating. This would also align well with your upgrade to the DS923+ and more advanced RAID setup.

If Stability is a Priority: If you prefer stability and are satisfied with the current setup, you might choose to stick with Ext4, especially if the added features of Btrfs are not crucial for your current needs.

Plan for Future Upgrades: If you plan to upgrade soon, you might consider waiting until the migration to the DS923+ to make the switch. This way, you can start fresh with Btrfs on the new system without having to manage a transition on your current setup.