Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS vs DAS, SSD vs HDD

Looking to replace an Areca 8050T2 that has 5 bays as a 12Tb raid 5, 2 bays as a backup for the Raid array, and 1 bay for backing up my Mac computer. I will also be upgrading from a 2021 iMac to a new Mac Studio. The Areca is thunderbolt 2 so an older connection with an adapter, and my drives in it are 10 years old, so long overdue for replacement. I am strongly considering using SSD's for speed, reliability, noise, and energy consumption. Not sure whether I should be using a DAS or a NAS. Don't necessarily need networking, but not against it. Just want to bombproof somewhat futureproof setup for the next 10 years. Thanks.
Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! Considering you’re looking for a future-proof setup that can handle video/photo editing, storage, and redundancy, here's a breakdown to help you decide between NAS and DAS, and between SSDs and HDDs.

NAS vs. DAS:
NAS (Network Attached Storage):

Pros: NAS provides flexibility with network access, allowing you to access your data from multiple devices and locations. It also offers built-in redundancy and data protection features (e.g., RAID configurations). A NAS is ideal if you plan to access your data from more than one device or location, or if you might expand your setup to include additional users or devices.
Cons: NAS might be slightly slower than a direct-attached storage solution due to network overhead, but with modern 2.5GbE or 10GbE connections, this difference is minimized.
DAS (Direct Attached Storage):

Pros: DAS connects directly to your Mac, offering faster speeds due to direct Thunderbolt connections. It's simple to set up and manage, and it's a good choice if you don't need network access and want maximum speed for video/photo editing.
Cons: DAS is less flexible than NAS in terms of access and scalability. It’s limited to local connections and might not offer the same level of redundancy and data protection features unless explicitly set up.
SSD vs. HDD:
SSDs (Solid State Drives):

Pros: SSDs are faster, quieter, more reliable, and consume less power than HDDs. They are ideal for video/photo editing where speed is crucial. SSDs are also better for future-proofing due to their longevity and performance advantages.
Cons: SSDs are more expensive per terabyte compared to HDDs. You may need to balance speed and storage capacity with your budget.
HDDs (Hard Disk Drives):

Pros: HDDs are cost-effective for large storage capacities. They are suitable for long-term storage and backup of large amounts of data.
Cons: Slower speeds, higher noise, and more power consumption compared to SSDs. They may not be the best choice for intensive video/photo editing tasks.
Recommended Setup:
Given your budget and needs for a reliable and future-proof setup, here are some options:

NAS Option: QNAP TVS-h874

Features: This 8-bay NAS comes with a powerful Intel Core i7 or i9 processor, 10GbE networking, and PCIe expansion slots, making it an excellent choice for both high-speed editing and robust storage. The TVS-h874 supports Thunderbolt 4 connectivity through expansion, providing the best of both worlds—network storage flexibility and direct high-speed access.
Drive Configuration: You can use a combination of SSDs for speed (e.g., 4 x 2TB SSDs in RAID 10 for performance) and HDDs for capacity (e.g., 4 x 8TB HDDs in RAID 5/6 for backup and storage).
Pros: High-speed editing, future-proof with 10GbE and Thunderbolt 4 capabilities, flexible storage options, and excellent network capabilities.
DAS Option: OWC ThunderBay 8

Features: This is an 8-bay DAS with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity. It provides direct high-speed access to your Mac, which is perfect for video editing and large file transfers.
Drive Configuration: You could set up a RAID array with SSDs for speed and HDDs for backup, similar to the NAS option.
Pros: Direct high-speed connection, ideal for fast editing workflows, simple setup and management.
Final Recommendation:
If you want a solution that offers both local speed and network flexibility, the QNAP TVS-h874 with a mix of SSDs and HDDs is an excellent choice. It provides robust storage, redundancy, and scalability, making it future-proof for the next 10 years.

If networking is not a concern and you prefer the simplicity and speed of direct connections, the OWC ThunderBay 8 is a great DAS option, allowing for fast and reliable local storage.

Both setups will meet your needs for video/photo editing, storage, and redundancy while providing a durable and long-lasting solution.