Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RS1619xs+

Hi
My history is that for some years I have used and still running a Synology DS211+ 2 bay unit, and it is really at its end of life. So, I'm looking to upgrade and need some expert knowledge on the Synology products. I currently use the NAS for photo storage and document storage. I have been looking at the RS1619xs+ and like the specs. I currently have a server rack HP 10642 42U and would like to go the RS way. One of my main concerns is VM and the license around this. But my main question at this stage is " Is it worth waiting for the possibly RS1625xs+" as the RS1619xs+ cpu came out in 2015. It's a rather big investment and any further information would help.
The items I have been looking at are:
RS1619XS+
Rail kit RKS-02
ST16000NM001G - 2KK103 x 4 (It looks like the compatibility list runs behind new and available drives my preference would be ST24000NM002H but it not on the list)
Built-in M.2 Slot now I’m thinking of Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M.2 NVMe but this may be just a wish
Hi there!

It sounds like you're planning a solid upgrade from your DS211+ to a more powerful and capable NAS solution. The RS1619xs+ is a significant step up and would definitely provide a lot more performance and flexibility, especially for tasks like running VMs and handling large storage needs.

1. RS1619xs+ vs. Waiting for RS1625xs+
Current Model (RS1619xs+):

The RS1619xs+ is a robust and reliable unit. It features an Intel Xeon D-1527 quad-core processor, which is quite powerful and well-suited for handling tasks like virtualization, high-speed data processing, and large-scale storage management.
With 4-bay expandability and support for M.2 NVMe SSD caching, it’s a versatile choice that fits well into your server rack.
This model will support your needs for photo and document storage, as well as running virtual machines. Synology's VM Manager makes it straightforward to set up and manage VMs, and the license requirements are typically straightforward (free for two VMs, additional licenses required beyond that).
Potential Future Model (RS1625xs+ or similar):

If Synology releases an RS1625xs+ or equivalent, you could expect some updates such as a newer generation CPU, potentially better energy efficiency, and maybe improved support for NVMe drives. However, as of now, there are no confirmed details or release dates from Synology about this model.
If your current setup can hold out for a while longer and you're willing to wait, it might be worth seeing if any announcements come out in the next few months. However, keep in mind that newer models typically come with higher initial pricing, and availability can be limited right after launch.
2. VM Licensing Concerns
Synology's Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) is free to use for up to two virtual machines. If you need more VMs, you will need to purchase additional licenses, which is something to consider if you plan on running multiple VMs for various purposes.
The RS1619xs+ is capable of running multiple VMs, thanks to its powerful Xeon processor and ample RAM capacity (upgradable to 64GB). It’s well-suited for virtualization tasks, provided you plan accordingly for the licensing.
3. Storage and Compatibility
Drive Compatibility:

For the HDDs, you're right that Synology's compatibility list can lag behind the newest models. The Seagate Exos X18 16TB (ST16000NM001G) is a good choice and is known to work well in NAS environments. It offers high capacity and reliability for enterprise-grade storage.
As for the Seagate Exos X24 24TB (ST24000NM002H), even if it's not yet listed on the compatibility list, Synology NAS units generally support a wide range of enterprise SATA drives, so it's likely to work. However, it's always best to ensure compatibility to avoid any surprises.
SSD Caching:

Utilizing the built-in M.2 slots for SSD caching is a great way to boost performance, especially for frequently accessed data or VM operations. The Samsung 990 Pro 4TB M.2 NVMe is a high-performance SSD and would certainly provide a substantial caching boost. However, check Synology’s latest compatibility lists or forums to confirm no issues with using the 990 Pro in these slots.
4. Recommendations
If you need the upgrade now and want proven reliability, the RS1619xs+ is a great choice. It's powerful, supports your storage needs, and is capable of running multiple VMs effectively. This model is a solid investment and will serve you well for many years.
If you can afford to wait and see if Synology releases an updated model, keep an eye on Synology's announcements. However, as you mentioned, the investment is significant, and waiting might not be the best strategy if the current NAS meets your needs.
For HDDs, stick with the Seagate Exos X18 16TB unless you can confirm that the 24TB version is compatible. For SSD caching, the Samsung 990 Pro would offer excellent performance, but again, verify compatibility.