Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice on fan speed control for non PWM motherboard, or just switch?

I purchased a HKUXZR N5105 motherboard, and only just realized that the case fan speed cannot be controlled as the board only has a 3 pin connection - no PWM support. This is an issue as I'd like to save power, and keep noise low if the system isn't being used as it currently sits in my office.

What are my options? Is there a method of modifying the BIOS to get the fan to run at a different speed based off the total system temp (or ideally average disk temp), or should I instead just buy a different motherboard with PWM fan control support? It looks like there are a number of containers that allow PWM fans to be set based on disk temp. 

If you'd recommend a new board, any pointers to boards that have 6+ sata ports, support for 32GB RAM, and low power? My case is a Jonsbo N4 (supports mini ITX or micro ATX).

Thanks!
It's a common issue to realize later that a motherboard lacks PWM support, especially when trying to balance performance, noise, and power efficiency in a NAS setup. Let's explore your options to manage fan speed effectively without PWM support, and consider whether switching to a new motherboard might be the better solution.

Options for Fan Speed Control Without PWM Support
Fan Speed Reducers/Adapters:

Use a Low-Noise Adapter: Some fans come with low-noise adapters (like Noctua's LNA) that reduce the voltage supplied to the fan, thereby lowering its speed. This is a simple, plug-and-play solution to reduce noise. If your Noctua fan didn’t come with one, you can buy these adapters separately.
Manual Fan Controllers: Install a manual fan controller that fits into an empty drive bay or is a standalone unit. These allow you to manually adjust the fan speeds using knobs. While this gives you direct control, it’s less automated and may require adjustments based on the current workload or temperature.
Thermal-Based Fan Controllers:

Temperature Sensors: Some fan controllers come with temperature sensors that you can place in your NAS to monitor temperatures. The controller adjusts fan speeds based on these readings, offering a semi-automated solution. Brands like Akasa and Thermaltake offer fan controllers with this feature.
DC Fans with Voltage Control:

Use Voltage-Controlled Fans: If you’re comfortable with a bit of DIY, you can use DC fans that allow speed control by adjusting the voltage. Some motherboards allow voltage regulation even on 3-pin headers. You can use software like SpeedFan (if supported by your motherboard) to control fan speed based on temperature. However, this might not be as reliable without built-in motherboard support.
Consider Switching to a New Motherboard
If you find that the above solutions are not suitable or too limiting, and you want a more integrated, automated way to manage fan speed and overall system performance, switching to a new motherboard with PWM support might be a good idea.

Motherboard Recommendations:

Look for motherboards that fit your Jonsbo N4 case (Mini ITX or Micro ATX) and support your requirements:
ASRock Rack E3C246D4I-2T: This is a Mini ITX board with 6 SATA ports, support for 32GB of ECC RAM, and PWM fan control. It also includes dual 10GbE ports, making it a good choice for a NAS that might require faster network connectivity in the future.
ASUS Prime H510M-A: A Micro ATX board with 6 SATA ports, support for 64GB RAM, and PWM support. It’s budget-friendly and good for NAS setups.
Gigabyte B550I AORUS Pro AX: Although designed for gaming, this Mini ITX board supports PWM control, has multiple SATA ports (you might need to add a SATA expansion card), and supports high RAM capacity, making it versatile for a NAS setup.
Low Power Consumption: All the above boards are designed to be efficient, with low power consumption being a priority for NAS setups.
Thanks so much for this thorough response!

I will look at the fan controller option first (sounds like fun looking for, and getting a solution to work there) before looking at new boards. Appreciate the tips.