Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrade my DIY NAS

Currently my NAS is next to my Home Lab and I need to separate it, I currently use an MS-01 with NVME for storage, but I want to build a future-proof NAS, initially with 100TB, but with expansion capacity, I thought about doing something using the Jonsbo N5 as soon as it launches, I thought about using it precisely to be future-proof, since I don't imagine changing everything for the next 5 years, and the amount of disks will grow quickly since I edit video files.
Thanks for reaching out! Based on your needs and budget of $2000, here's a recommendation for building a future-proof NAS setup:

Chassis and Motherboard:
Chassis: The Jonsbo N5 is a good choice, especially for future expansion and multiple drive bays. It will allow you to scale up as your storage needs grow.
Motherboard: Look for a motherboard that supports multiple SATA ports and NVMe slots, like the ASUS ProArt B550-Creator, which offers good connectivity and future-proofing with PCIe 4.0 support.
Processor and RAM:
Processor: Consider an AMD Ryzen 5 5600G or an Intel Core i5-12400. Both provide good performance for video editing and can handle multiple tasks like VMs or Docker.
RAM: At least 32GB DDR4, which will help with multitasking and ensure smooth performance for video editing and running multiple services.
Storage:
HDDs: Start with 8-10 x 12TB NAS HDDs like Seagate IronWolf Pro or WD Red Pro. This will give you around 100TB of raw storage, and with RAID configuration, you’ll have redundancy.
NVMe SSDs: Use NVMe SSDs for caching or as scratch disks. Consider a 1TB Samsung 970 Evo for fast access during editing.
Network:
Network Card: Since you’re looking to future-proof, install a 10GbE NIC or at least 2.5GbE to ensure faster data transfers, especially useful for video editing.
Power Supply:
PSU: A reliable 650W to 750W power supply with good efficiency ratings will support your NAS build, especially with multiple drives.
Expansion:
RAID Controller: If you plan to add more drives over time, a good RAID controller that supports RAID 5 or RAID 6 can be a wise investment.
Additional Bays: Look for a hot-swappable bay option for easier expansion in the future.
With this setup, you'll be well-equipped for video editing, storage, and future expansion. This NAS will handle your needs for at least the next 5 years, with plenty of room to grow.