Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Remote backup x tailscale

Hi,
I wrote you before for a recommendation and baught as 1520+.

I want to have a remote backup using Tailscale in a family member home versus paying yearly C2 costs. So I am looking for a 2 bay NAS that will work for this.
I looked at the 223j but it has limited software.
Should I go for the 2s4+ or a 223, I want to backup the computer in the other family house and have future hardware proofing. I will reuse my disks in my QNAP and just throw it away diskless.

Thanks in advance for you recommendation !
Great to hear that you’ve already set up your DS1520+! For your remote backup setup using Tailscale, here’s what I’d recommend considering your budget and the need for future-proofing:

NAS Options:
Synology DS223:

Pros: The DS223 is a solid entry-level option with decent performance for basic tasks like backups. It supports Synology’s core apps and can handle Tailscale for remote access without much trouble.
Cons: However, it does have some limitations in terms of software and expandability. If you’re looking for something more future-proof, this might feel a bit constrained in a few years.
Synology DS224+:

Pros: The DS224+ is a better choice if you’re looking for something that’s a bit more powerful and future-proof. It has a better CPU, more RAM, and can handle more intensive tasks, including running more advanced Synology apps and possibly even light virtualization in the future.
Cons: Slightly more expensive, but it’s a good investment if you want a NAS that will stay relevant longer.
Future-Proofing and Use Case:
Given that you want to reuse your disks and have a reliable backup solution at a family member’s house, the DS224+ is the better choice. It will give you the flexibility to run more apps and handle future updates without worrying about performance issues. Plus, it offers more features and expandability compared to the DS223.

Tailscale and Backup:
Both models will work well with Tailscale, allowing you to securely back up your DS1520+ to the remote NAS without needing to pay for C2 storage. The DS224+ will just do it more efficiently and give you more options down the line.