Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SSD Nas with VM support

Im looking for a NAS which is powerful enough to run 2 or 3 VM's.
Im familiar with ESXi although that is not required.
Probably need around 64GB RAM with a 3Ghz processor
I don't think I need that many cores, prefer faster low-thread count processors
Need SFP25 connectivity
Prefer hardware Raid-6 with at least 8 enterprise SSDs. I don't trust ZFS to save RAM in a power fail or HW restart condition.
Main use-case is for shared storage across several users with home directories mounted upon login.
VPN support optional, not required.
Thank you for reaching out with your requirements for a powerful NAS that can support running 2-3 VMs. Based on your needs, I would highly recommend considering the QNAP TVS-hx74 series NAS, which is specifically designed to handle demanding workloads, including virtualization and high-speed connectivity.

Why QNAP TVS-hx74 Series?
Powerful Processor Options:

The QNAP TVS-hx74 series comes with options for Intel Core i5, i7, or even i9 processors. These processors offer the speed and performance you need, with clock speeds up to 4.8 GHz, making them ideal for your requirement of a fast, low-thread count processor.
Ample Memory for VMs:

The TVS-hx74 series supports up to 128GB of DDR4 memory, providing more than enough capacity for running multiple VMs simultaneously. You can start with 64GB and scale up if your needs grow.
Hardware RAID-6 with Enterprise SSDs:

The TVS-hx74 series supports hardware RAID-6, ensuring data protection and reliability. With up to 8 drive bays, you can configure it with enterprise-grade SSDs for fast, secure storage. This setup is perfect for your use case of shared storage across multiple users.
SFP25 Connectivity:

This series supports PCIe expansion, allowing you to add a 25GbE SFP28 network card for high-speed connectivity. This ensures your NAS can handle high-bandwidth tasks and provide fast data access for all users.
Virtualization Support:

QNAP's Virtualization Station allows you to run multiple VMs directly on the NAS. It supports various operating systems and integrates with VMware, Hyper-V, and other virtualization platforms, making it easy to manage and deploy your VMs.
Additional Features:

The TVS-hx74 series also includes features like SSD caching, Qtier for auto-tiering, and support for QNAP’s QuTS hero operating system, which combines the best of both ZFS and traditional RAID configurations.