Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capacity Upgrade

Hello, I watch your channel all the time when I have NAS questions, so I wanted to start off by saying thank you.

I'm currently running a Synology 1019+ mainly as a PLEX server. Its fully loaded with 5 x 16TB Ironwolf HDDs (It's frustrating that I lose 1.4 TB on each drive just to use them, but thats another topic)

Im at about 80% capacity and I want to upgrade the drives. Synology support says that while I "can" put 5 new 24tb Exos drives in the NAS, they can't verify its reliability and functionality.

Do you have any input or previous dealings with going over manufacture specified drive capacity?

I can always add a DX517 expansion, but would rather upgrade the drive first before expanding. (Unless you recommend differently)

I'd love to get a NAS that had a larger drive bay capacity, but none of the larger Syno's have the Celeron capable of Hardware Transcoding.

Any input you can provide is greatly appreciated, and thank you again for all your informative videos!!!

Hey there! Glad to hear you find our channel helpful! Upgrading your NAS setup is indeed a good move, especially considering your current capacity constraints with the Synology 1019+. While Synology suggests caution with exceeding manufacturer-specified drive capacities, many users have successfully upgraded to larger drives like the 24TB Exos without major issues. However, it's always a good idea to have backups and monitor system performance closely during and after the upgrade.

Regarding your expansion options, adding the DX517 could be beneficial if you prefer not to replace all drives immediately. It offers seamless integration and increases your storage capacity without compromising on reliability. If hardware transcoding is essential for your PLEX setup, the DS423+ could be a potential upgrade path with its robust hardware capabilities, though it's a 4-bay system. It might be worth considering a higher-bay NAS in the future as your storage needs continue to grow.
I had a similar dilemma when I was upgrading my NAS setup. I ended up adding an expansion unit instead of pushing past the recommended drive sizes because I didn’t want to risk stability issues. It’s probably the safest bet, especially since you’re already close to full capacity. Plus, having the extra drives gives you room to grow without squeezing the current setup too much.