Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choice of HD and Software

I'm looking at either a DS224+ or TS-262-4G and I know you've written comparisons on these. I have 2 questions, one on choice of HD and the other is software. My primary use case is for archival storage and to use as cloud storage for pictures taken on my phone (iPhone). Reading though the docs on Synology and QNAP, Synology doesn't exactly say that pictures taken on you phone will be automatically upload, where QNAP does. Also which is best for this application. The second question is, is it worth buying 7200 rpm drives over 5400 rpm drives. Is read/write speed of the drive the limiting factor or is it the throughput of the NAS. Also any thoughts on WD vs Seagate.
Both Synology and QNAP offer automated photo backup capabilities from your iPhone while the respective mobile app is open. This means you can set up either system to automatically upload photos from your phone to your NAS without manual intervention each time, provided the app is active. While QNAP's documentation might be a bit clearer on this feature, Synology's Synology Photos app also supports automated uploads, ensuring your photos are safely stored.

When it comes to choosing hard drives, opting for 5400 RPM drives such as the WD Red Plus or Seagate IronWolf is advisable for your needs. These slower-spinning drives generate less noise and heat compared to their 7200 RPM counterparts, making them more suitable for a home environment where quiet operation is often preferred.

Moreover, considering that the network speed (typically 1 Gbps) is the primary limiting factor for read and write speeds in most home NAS setups, the faster 7200 RPM drives won’t provide a significant performance boost for tasks like photo backups or general archival storage. Therefore, the quieter and more energy-efficient 5400 RPM drives are a better fit.